adding to the 30gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I inherited a 30 gal (36lx12wx16d outside measures) and over a period of 4 days I transferred inhabitants from 2 10gallons

4 zebra danios
2 green cories 2"
1 pepper cory 2"
1 panda cory 1" (MIA?)
3 otocinclus
5 rummy nose (not sure if true or faux)
7 neons
2 rasbora (het/harlequin)
(23 fish at 2" or less)
I've got a fairly massive Java Fern colony, several rocks arranged as cave/hidespace and a conditioned aquaclear 50 (with a hose to pull water from the other side of the tank).

The tetra/danio/rasbora crew have not been venturing out into the open space much. They wrangle for space around the plant/rock structure I made and make forays along the bottom. The rasbora pair have been the most adventurous and I know they need a couple more buddies to complete their party. Not sure what's up with the danios. Normally they'd tear through open spaces.

1) are they likely to fill that space more (especially when I add 2-3 more het.) once they've been in a while longer?
2) aside from the het party, what other fish might I add to fill that space (still under 2" as adults)?I was hoping to add cherry barbs, but realize that they'll just hide out in the plants too. Love of cherry barbs vs need for open water fun. . .
3) would adding a tall structure/vertical piece pull them off the plants more? or would I just be losing open space?

I'd up the school of each of those fish to at least 6, for the rummynose 8. Fish are always more adventurous in groups, when keeping 1 or 2 pirahna they're little chickens but in groups, they'll tear into anything.;)

If you fill out the schools of fish, there will be no more room for anything new. You may want to put in short plants or wood in the open space to draw out the fish. If you can add a full tank shot to this posting, that would be helpful in recommending where to go next.

So here it is a day or two ago. The tubing you see along the back panel is 5/8 ID attached to the inline of the filter to pull water from the opposite end of the tank. I think it improves the turnover and I will probably shift the planting to better cover that synthetic look.

I have since backed the tank with some paper for now, to try to give them a greater sense of security (?). The neon party in the corner hasn't congregated as such since. Most of the time the crew is pouring around the bearded stick/rock/javafern structure.

IMG_3089.jpg

I'm worried that I'm already close to full. I think I may rehome the danio foursome to create room for some other fish.

I'm wondering what an additional filter may do for my capacity.

I was thinking mopani type wood to fill that space a little, but it seemed a bit thick/bulky. I'd rather find something that resembles roots/small twig bundle, like the twig the java fern is creeping along.

I also thought about some tall plants to the right of the filter return. Unfortunately,
I've failed considerably at getting tall plants going in smaller tanks and can't imagine I'll suddenly have greater success. It's mainly a lack of investment in proper lighting.

I spent a little time and figured out how to add photos to my profile and have added several to refer to in the future as my project develops.

I shifted the plant grouping around, placing the java ferns center and the fish distribution has changed wonderfully. This evening the cories came out to play and I haven't turned on a tv yet. 30 gallon aquarivision trumps 10 gallon. Kind of wish I had known to go straight to large in the first place.

Now I'll be dreaming of 55 and 100gallon projects. . .

Attachments

• IMG_3110.jpg
    IMG_3110.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 53
Now I'll be dreaming of 55 and 100gallon projects. . .
And when you get there, you'll be dreaming of 250!
The tank is a bit empty--more plants or just wood will make a huge difference to the fish, as well as where you place them in the tank!

i would add well not much. maybe 1 or 2 more danios and maybe some more rasbora (4 or 5) they look good and live happier in groups.

I've got another gallon or two of room to fill. I enjoy the splash of the filter return a bit and haven't decided to top it off just yet. Makes the house less quiet at night. At some point soon I'll fill it to the top as that filter splash competes with prime time tv. . .

Oh ok so once you fill it up you will have more water for your fish to swim in dont forget to change the water every now and then. And if your fish get sick send me a private message i will answer you to the best of my ability. my mollies have ick right now they should survive but if they dont thats ok they were cheap and i havent had them very long so im not real attached to them. you can also put more plants in there if any of your fish decide to breed this gives them a much higher raate at reaching adult hood.

Back
Top Bottom