Adding to the tank, questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I have some questions pertaining to some fish I'm considering adding to my tank.

I have a 29 gallon freshwater-sort of brackish tank, with six dalmatian mollies. I figure I can handle adding a school of 3-5 more schooling fish, and one or two slightly larger fish. At first I wanted a bottom feeder, but I changed my mind. I checked Petco (my only option locally) for what they had and did some homework, but I still have questions. I've done what research I can on each of these fish, but there are still things I can't find on each, such as whether or not they can handle brackish water.

1. First is what they call a "large pleco". Just a big black pleco. Yes, I know, bottom feeder. But I've admired these things for a while and I was just curious.
I know the maximum size is pretty big, but is it too big for a 29 gallon and too needy for a beginner? What with the algae wafers and all.

2. Red wag swordtails. I've done a little research on swordtails, but I still don't know if they can handle the semi-brackish water I have. I am willing to reverse the brackish water back to freshwater if it's necessary.
Can they handle brackish water, and would a school of them be compatible with the mollies? Also, I still don't know what the term "wag" means in fish, can anyone enlighten me?

3. Sunset fire wag platy.
Basically the same as above. Would platies (platys?) work, and what does wag mean. Also, I notice that the platy is an omnivore, but apparently needs a herbivorous diet as well. I'm not sure I can switch out to more premium food just yet, can they do okay for a while on Tetramin brand food? Brackish water?

4. Flame dwarf gouramis/Neon blue dwarf gouramis. These are where I got the idea for two slightly larger fish, because they didn't seem quite big enough to be a problem for the schooling fish. I would kill for a pair of the neon blue dwarf gouramis, if they are compatible.
I am aware they are freshwater-only fish, but is there anything else I need to know?

5. The African butterfly fish. Definately a unique fish, and definately out there. I know they are primarily surface fish, but they are also predators with large mouths. I would only buy a single one if I went through with it.
Would they be a bit too much for a beginner, or could it become irritable with the other fish when they come to the surface and potentially eat one of them? And again, the brackish question.

6. Mickey mouse swordtails. Eh.

7. Sunset fire platies.
Again, their omnivore-herbivore diet and brackish water.

8. Shubunkin goldfish.
From what I've found, these seem to check out. Minus the water issue, they also look a little big. Any risk of eating tankmates in goldfish?

Sorry for the random and sometimes repetitive questions, those are just the pieces of info I'm missing. As I narrow it down to which of these I am getting, I will ask more questions about compatibility if I need to.
Thanks again community!

-Shaun

Hi Captain Mako. there are three species I wouldn't put in your tank,

1. Plecostomus: They grow way too big for a 29 gallon tank and will quickly outgrow it.

2. African Butterfly fish, can grow to 4" and small tetras could become lunch and they can be very intolerant of other surface swimming fish.

3. Shubunkin Goldfish, they are coldwater fish, they tolerate higher temperatures but it will shorten their lives considerably, best kept in unheated tanks or ponds.

all the fish on your list I believe prefer freshwater, even the mollies can adapt to a freshwater environment. this is just my opinion, you will get more feedback from other members and you can make up your own mind. hope this will help though. Good Luck!!

Pete

The biggest question is how did you make it brackish and what is the salinity? What was your salt you added?

One or two fish tips:

All fish can stand aquarium salt in the water to a large extent if acclimated to it.
(Yes even cories)

Bristlenose plecos are considerably smaller than normal plecos. And I believe that could fit in your 29 gal.
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong here)

Never mix warm and cold water fish. Someone always loses and we don't want that!

Okay, I ruled out those fish and here is what I still have:
Red wag swordtails
Sunset fire wag platy
Flame dwarf gourami
Neon blue dwarf gourami
Gold dust molly (Forgot to mention these earlier I think)
Mickey mouse swordtail
Sunset fire platy

Still some more questions to narrow it down, but answers for MABJ first.
The tank is basically freshwater. I find everywhere that mollies thrive a little more with some salinity. I use about a tablespoon of API aquarium salt in their water. I don't think I'm doing that right or using the right salt now that I think about it. My thermometer has a hydrometer (Apparently measures salt?), but I don't know how to use it.

Right now, I'm thinking about a pair of gouramis and a school of these other fish. Here's some more questions.

1. Still don't know what "wag" means in fish. Is it just a physical variable or...? I can't find information on it anywhere.

2. I know swordtails are relatives of mollies and platys, etc. But are they themselves platys, or their own breed?

3. Would having a single flame dwarf gourami and a single neon blue dwarf gourami cause aggitation? Would I just be better off getting a pair of the same kind?

4. Platy diet. Will they be fine without a fancy semi-herbivoric for a while, if I end up getting them?

Going to continue narrowing it down, and when I finally make a selection I will see what you guys think about compatibility. And then there is the issue of which to get and introduce to the tank first...ugh. Fish, the most spoiled pets on Earth.
Thanks again guys,

-Shaun

Did a water test about an hour ago. Read between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm.
Did a 50 percent water change, did not add salt or pimafix
Noticing fungal spots on the tail fin, just how the fungal attack I had before started.
If anyone is going to reply, should I consider starting on pimafix? It worked great last time.

Wag basically means that the fish has black fins and tail.

platys, variatus, and swordtails are closely related, but they are separate species. They are all in the same genus though.

Mollies are closely related to guppies in the same way.

Are you sure that its fungus on the tail? If so, methylene blue works, as well as direct application of h2o2, I don't know if pimafix helps or not, but doing frequent water changes to keep your toxin levels down should be first and foremost, as many different fish 'diseases' and issues can be traced back to water quality problems.

ok first of all, your tank is not semi-brackish. since you are using aquarium salt and not marine salt, it just means you are salting your freshwater tank. I would suggest to stop using salt, as it can cause ill effects if used for anything other than medication. it's just not necessary.

so, any of your updated choices would've acceptable.

if you get a gourami, only get one. they are known to be aggressive towards others of their own kind. granted it's been done before, but the majority of the cases have not been successful.

I've found salt is very beneficial to freshwater fish, and even over years, has not had an adverse affect on even little corydoras

MABJ said:
I've found salt is very beneficial to freshwater fish, and even over years, has not had an adverse affect on even little corydoras

I still find it unnecessary. why do you use salt? does it do anything for you? it's bad for plants and inverts. also, if used all the time, anything in your tank can adapt to it, like ich if you get it, rendering salt useless for treatment.

I also want to point out that only the addition of MARINE salt will turn FW into brackish.

mommytron said:
I still find it unnecessary. why do you use salt? does it do anything for you? it's bad for plants and inverts. also, if used all the time, anything in your tank can adapt to it, like ich if you get it, rendering salt useless for treatment.

I also want to point out that only the addition of MARINE salt will turn FW into brackish.

Well, I don't plant, I find my type of ghost shrimp thrive and reproduce in it, and I find it makes my fish more active. Not everybody finds that.

I'd also like to comment and say marine salt and aquarium salt both make a brackish tank brackish. Marine salt is just 10x better for fish. More beneficial minerals and all that. I agree it's better by a lot, but I know both "do the job"

Sorry, that off-topic post was meant to go into a different thread of mine, got them mixed up. I noticed my mollies are developing pop-eye and some fungal spots. I want to keep the topics seperate, but if you think you can help me out, see here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/mollies-with-puffy-eyes-151354.html

To address the salt issue, the salt I am currently using is API Aquarium salt, use as a tonic. I'm still an amateur for the most part, and I thought that salt and marine salt were the same. I'll stop using it. I had to do a 50% water change last night as part of the treatment and I didn't add any salt, I think I will hold off on the salt at least until the new fish are settled.

Thank you for the answers on wag and the species connections. As well as the single gourami deal, that potentially just saved me some grief.
I am now aiming for a school (in addition to my mollies) and that single gourami.

Here's a possibility:
Six dalmatian mollies (Already owned)
Single Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
School of 4-6 sunset fire platys/gold dust mollies/red wag swordtails (Any issues here before I choose one? I don't know why, but I have the thought somewhere that male swordtails are aggressive towards each other.)

And just to include a future question now, would I be better off getting the school or the single gourami first? I am DEFINATELY going to have to wait until after this pop-eye problem is fixed, but which should I purchase first? I only have a one gallon cheapo tank with which to quarantine new fish. I figured the gourami would be the easier to introduce to the tank first.

Thanks, and please look at the pop-eye thread if you have time. The sooner that is resolved, the sooner these fish will have a home with me!

-Shaun

I would get the school first. There is a chance that the gourami could be territorial, so introducing him last doesn't give him a chance to bully the other fish as they will already be established in the tank. (not saying he will, but just in case)

I've never experienced any aggression with my small gouramis and other species except when they are breeding. I suggest getting a honey gourami or similar rather than colisa lalia, so DGIV isn't a potential issue.

Also the popeye thing points at water quality issues, definitely get that straightened out before adding anything.

Call me fatalist, but I'm doubting my mollies are going to make it at this point. We'll see what happens, but if I'm lucky they will be okay and I can get these new fish.

Back
Top Bottom