Additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 high with the current stock:

6x zebra danio
6x glowlight tetras
2x Cory cat
2x kuhli loach
1x dwarf gourami

What else can I add? Aqadvisor says I am 85% stocked
Some ideas are rainbow fish, German blu rams, but I'm not sure if they would jive with the DG even though he seems very passive

I would add at least 2 more kuhli loaches and 2 more cory cats, more would be even better. They tend to need larger groups to be happy.

I probably wouldn't put a blue ram in anything smaller than a 30g tank. Also, most rainbows need at least a 4ft long tank to be happy, so unless you go with the smaller species of rainbows I don't think they would happily fit in a tank that size.

Bettas and gouramis do not mix!!! They both live near the top and breathe air, so for some reason they see each other as competition. Most likely your new betta would kill your gourami.

PS I would add more cories as well. They don't seem to care if you mix cory species, but they tend to do better in "packs" of 6.

Also, I disagree that you need to add another loach. I have 3 in a 55g and they never hang together. In fact they are very territorial.

Another two cents: aqadvisor is just an opinion. It's your tank. If your water conditions are kept correct then you can add more than they say. The reason I say that is according to them (and probably lots of members here) I'm way over stocked, but I have extra filtration, check my levels every other day and do water changes as necessary. My fish are doing great!

PS I would add more cories as well. They don't seem to care if you mix cory species, but they tend to do better in "packs" of 6.

Also, I disagree that you need to add another loach. I have 3 in a 55g and they never hang together. In fact they are very territorial.

What kind of loaches are these? Most loaches need a group of around 6 to be happy and less can cause some territorial issues.

I wouldn't overstock I know a lot of people say its ok as long as your water is kept clean and such, but it's also about their quality of life not just the quality of water. They need room to swim without bumping into one another. I tend to keep my tanks under stocked and my fish are extremely happy that they can roam around the tank without venturing into another fish's territory every few seconds. My fish don't even claim territories really because they have so much space. I think their happiness is more important than seeing fish all over the tank.

I am getting more cory cats, kuhli loaches are hard to find in my area, I will keep an Eye out for them

Back
Top Bottom