Adequate Tank Size For Adult Clown Knife..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello.
I have a 9" clown knifefish that I am going to be giving to a trusted LFS. I was wondering what tank size is needed to keep a happy clown knife at their adult size (~18"+?), just so I could suggest if possible that the buyer have a tank at least that size ready for it. I've asked this question seemingly everywhere (I was originally going to get the new tank myself but then the knife had a growth spurt and I don't think I'll be able to save up in time) and got responses like "clown what?" Seems I'll be better off asking here though.
Thanks!

These actually can get a whole lot bigger than that (Baensch lists them topping out at 39"!!) but I'll bet they don't get that big in home aquaria.

I have never kept them but considering their potential I would start with 150 gals. I know there are clown knife owners here, so someone should chime in soon!

yeah, i would say ATLEAST 150gal. I've seen several that were over 2ft. I don't think they would get much larger and certainly can't imagine 3ft. Depending on his appearance, you may want to look into selling him to someone as a show fish. A LFS here has sold a couple that are generally 18-24" as show quality. It may be better for the fish than to go to someone who may have a big tank, but little experience. Plus you would know that your fish would be going somewhere it would be taken great care of.

Derek

My LFS has a poor clown knife, Probably 2 and a half foot long crammed into a 30gal.

Hes been there for months.. and shared the tank for awhile with 3 fully grown common Pl*cos, but their all sold now.

Thanks. I'll look into if he is a "show quality" fish or not. He does have a small patch of scar tissue on his ventral fin that I found when I was squinting at him while he was munching on some krill last night, but I didn't find anything else particularly bad about him. I've seen the LFS in question sell knives a little bigger than mine for $40-$50, and I'm pretty sure that if I make sure to ask them (and even if I didn't) they would not give him to anyone who didn't have an appropriate tank. I'm going to miss my buddy, but I'm sure he'll get a nice home. He is certainly the most beautiful of my fish.

Gee I plan to have my lil Black Ghost Knife in an aprx 170 gal custom. And he tops out at about 20"
And the Clown knife is a larger fish by a good portion!
But my guy is sharing space with same size at present Clown loaches. Basically the tank maker helped me plan something he can turn around, not jump out easily and a length near twice his own so he can cruise.
If he outgrows the 40 before I have the tank, I plan to buy an 95 gallon livestock trough. I'll be bummed not to see him mosey, but since I hand feed him so he'll come to me then. Can always sink it as a pond later ^_^
Being in NY I see how having trough in an apt may not do..... :p :oops:
Bummer to raise him so long and have to part with him.. :(

I stayed away from those bad boys...too active a predator and too big. My lfs guy was good about telling me that. And Dutch is "cute" as well as pretty.
So then I went and got a polypterus...heh! :roll: 170-180gal tank #2.

Those Brown Hoplos have invaded a local spring.

They were actually putting the call out for locals who wanted to give up their weekend to voulenteer to spear and kill as many of them as they could and get them out of the spring.

Clown Knives and Red Tail Cats should be in the same category, pond only or better yet leave them to mother nature to give them a suitable home. Too many of these animals have met their demise due to outgrowing their surroundings. Not their fault, this should be haulted at the LFS. I speak from experience in both cases.

Clown knife fishes are known as food fish, so it is no wonder.

The thing I am noticing in this thread is how sorry everyone is that they had to get rid of theirs! They are certainly a stunning fish, and I guess it must be placed in the red tail shark and pacu category of fish that really ought to be left out of the hobby. It is a shame. There was just recently a very interesting article in FAMA about these fish (or was it TFH?? :oops: ) and I fear that will encourage people to get them to keep in their aquariums at home. I still don't think many are aware of their size potential and their predatory nature when they get them, since they are so cool looking.

Yeah, they have huge and obviously C-knike filets at the asia market..
Most are packaged at a nice uniform 3 lbs. Some are smaller in multi packs.
Mmmm -mmm. heh
:roll: :lol:

If there was a truth in advertising law for the pet trade that would help.
My local petsmart has the knife at 10 (they crossed out the former 20)and the clowns and browns at 15. My daughter looks and squaks out, 'Is this thing joking?!! they are waaay bigger! Half these fish for sale are known around the world as tank busters because they are sea monsters!"
The guy looking at knives turns to her.."what?" looks at me" Do they get bigger than that....is this a dwarf?"
"No dwarfs! the smallest kind ever is like 11 inches and none of these are it! They have a pic of a little clown on [Blah-rattles off web address for a sport fish tour]" that can take your whole arm! she blurts. "And that thing about these oscars is a big fat LIE! They get huge! Haven't you ever seen teh big green fish that turn red when hungry?" "yeah, I think so" "Well THOSE cuties are THEM as babies! Thats no better than being fish killers ! Why don't you flush em now for kindness!..isn't betta cruelty enough for you people!?"
Poor guys looks dejected and ruffled and goes to look at platys... :wink:
Another tank buster whisked from purchase ..and she says he was going for 5 oscars and a knife with some botias. 8)

And I take her little hand and crush it while scooting away. The fish mgr glares every time he sees us now as it is. I think if they had security he'd have calledd it right Then! :oops: ....
i can't take her ANYwhere! :p

Back
Top Bottom