Adf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about getting an adf for my 20g community tank once all my schooling fish pass aside from my Cory cats. The stock will be 6 Cory cats a betta a female blue gourami and possibly a dojo loach assuming he hasn't out grown the tank. Would it work and what should I feed him? Never had one before

Keep calm and drum on

If your tank is a tall and not a long, you'll first want to make sure there's something he can sit on higher than the floor if he wants to. I have a 20 G with an ADF, and he chooses to sit on the floor, but he has decor that is almost as high as the tank, and well as plants he could sit on if he chose to.
The only thing I would say might be a problem is that the cory cats could eat all his food before he gets to it. Right now, I feed mine sinking shrimp pellets every other day, or couple of days. I always place it behind a specific plant, hoping he'll learn to eat there. I think the food stays mostly un-noticed by the other fish back there.
I've also heard of finding a very small bottle, with a mouth big enough for only the frog to enter and get out, therefore the food only goes to him.
You can also feed him with long tweezers, placing it right in front of him.
Hopefully this helped.

I have a 20 long with some plants and drift wood. Would that work for him?

Keep calm and drum on

That will be fine for them. :) they love being in groups too.

I'd really look at getting your dojo a bigger tank. Mine went from 3-7.5inches in around 10 months. They grow fast if given the space (y)

Caleb

I have a 20 long with some plants and drift wood. Would that work for him?

Keep calm and drum on

Sounds perfect. And yeah, I love seeing them in groups (although I only have one right now) because they'll be popping up and down a lot of time. In my experience they move more in groups.

That will be fine for them. :) they love being in groups too.

I'd really look at getting your dojo a bigger tank. Mine went from 3-7.5inches in around 10 months. They grow fast if given the space (y)

Caleb

Alright. And the dojo will be in a 55g before too long when I have room for another tank. Hopefully within a month or so

Keep calm and drum on

When I had two ADFs in a community tank, they both died. They are better suited for a species only tank...they can also be in a betta tank too. The reason that an ADF might struggle in a community tank is that they have very poor vision, and it is hard for them to find food with others competing with them. You'd have to pretty much hand feed them in this case.

I agree that adf are not really well suited for a community tank in most cases. I know some people so do it, and sometimes it works for people! Other times (many times), you get a frog that slows starves to death. If your frog is not a voracious enough eater or if your cories are too piggy you will have a rough time being able to feed him.
My advice is to skip an adf in that setup, and wait until you can get like a 5-10g devoted to adf. Just my opinion.

It's really more a betta a gourami and bottom feeders. The dojo hangs around the top but eats off the floor and the corys stay primarily on the bottom. Think it'd still be a problem? I know bettas are slow and the gourami I have seems on the slower side

Keep calm and drum on

They will be happier in larger groups. I've got 6 with platys and corys. They always come out at meal times and actually boss the corys about (which are bigger than them) don't know whether mine are just especially comfortable but they do have a huge leafy wooden thing with loads of hiding places so they feel secure. If they feel safe they will come out to eat. If you notice they not eating you can hand feed them. Also, not read full thread, but if u have any breeders in there but they will enjoy eating any eggs or live fry :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom