ADF feeding tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malloc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an ADF in my 20g tank with some barbs, hatchetfish, platties and rainbow shark. Everyone gets along very well. My problem is feeding the frog, he will eat the same food as everyone else, but he's a bit slow. Whenever I drop food in the tank, the fish all go nuts & it's gone in 10 seconds or so- before the frog even notices anything is going on. I always have to catch him in a net, bring him up to the surface & drop some food right on his face. I often have to nudge the food a little as well so he notices it (usually a little chunk of tubifex worms).

I have tried dropping some algae tablets in there, which he seems to like OK, but the scent makes all the fish go completely nuts, and they get very aggressive until it's gone. The frog usually has to claw his way through a small frenzy to get to the tablet.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for feeding these guys without having to stress them out by catching them every other day?

On a site note... The rainbow shark also never comes up at feeding time. he seems content to scrape algae off the rocks & glass, and nibble at the snail's veggies. Is algae enough food for him?

What I did for my ADF is thaw some frozen bloodworms. While the rest of the tank went crazy for them I would scoop some up in a turkey baster and gently place them right in front of the ADF.

The rainbow shark will scavenger enough leftovers. He will eventually outgrow that tank. They also have a tendancy to become aggressive as they get bigger.

Thanks, I will try that. I might have to fashion some sort of extension so the turkey baster can reach to the bottom of the tank though =)

EDIT: I picked up a new turkey baster today, worked like a charm. Thank you for the suggestion =)

Back
Top Bottom