ADFs and mealworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to vary my African Dwarf frogs' diet.

I have been told by my local pet shop that mealworms are a bad idea because they are mostly fat. They also told me that the mealworms are bad for the fish because they can cause liver damage. Are waxworms any better? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

What do you feed them right now? You could feed them blackworms, bloodworms, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, algae wafers. I'm pretty sure they'll eat any live worms. I've never fed meal or wax worms though.

ADFs said:
I have been told by my local pet shop that mealworms are a bad idea because they are mostly fat.

Actually, they are mostly moisture and chitin.

They also told me that the mealworms are bad for the fish because they can cause liver damage.

No, they are just lacking in any decent nutritive value.

Are waxworms any better?

Now waxworms are pretty fatty, but fine as an occasional treat for larger fish.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Well-fed superworms, if you have fish large enough to eat them. Earthworms, maggots....ADFs will enjoy live blackworms, bloodworms, whiteworms, and grindal worms.

At the mo I feed them all bloodworms, some live but mostly frozen. In my tank I also have a corydoras catfish (pretty small) and 2 juvenile Angel fish (also pretty small), they eat the bloodworms too, although the angel fish get their own food.

Which worm(s) would be best for the frogs and a treat for the fish and not too big?

Back
Top Bottom