ADFs Jumping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
How common is it for ADFs to jump out of a tank? I just got one today and I can find it anywhere. It was digging in the sand so I didn't know if it burrowed into the sand or something but I haven't seen the little guy in at least 2 hours and he's only been in the tank for 3.

Yes, mine hopped up onto a plant and jumped out of the smallest crack possible. I found him belly up in the kitchen sink.

ADF? What does that stand for?

African dwarf frog. My experience has been they are quite accomplished jumpers (especially with any plants/decor to springboard from) but not the strongest swimmers. Make sure you check your filter intakes and impellers or anything else with even the slightest amount of suction.

Kermit has been found!!!! He must have either burrowed in the sand or some how got lost in the plants. What would be a good lid for the tank? As I am sure you have figured out by now my tank is topless. I now have it covered as best as I could with plastic wrap. I just don't know how long it will hold once the lights come on in the morning.
Should I just get him his own tank? He doesn't haven't anything within 6 inches of the water line that he can jump off of. I just want wake up to a dead frog on the floor.

I would personally go with a Versatemp glass top and drill some quarter inch holes along the back piece of plastic so he can get air. The plastic piece is meant to be cut for room for a filter too, which is pretty easy. I like the look of glass.

You could also go with a mesh top, which will allow for better gas exchange, but I've never used them. I would imagine you would have to cut out an area for the filter and make sure the mesh wouldn't rust. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Also, ADFs do best by themselves because they are often out competed for food. They're already half blind as is. In a community tank, you will probably have to hand feed using tweezers or a turkey baster to put the food right in front of their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom