Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2003, 08:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adjusting PH Levels

Hello All,

My ph levels range are in the 6.2 level. I put in PH neutralizer, and it doesnt have any affect. I bought "Raise PH" by Wardley, but it doesnt tell you how to use it. It tells you to follow the directions on your Wardley test kit. Only problem is, I dont own a Wardley test kit. Anyone have any ideas on how to use it? Should I use it. I have:
1 Tin-foil
4 severim
3 parrot-fish
2 small cat-fish
2 algae eaters
in a 30 gallon tank.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
If it is just a dropper bottle, then I think I have used that a long time ago. If you can't find any specific instructions, start with placing 2-3 drops where the water flows out (to mix it), wait a while, then check the PH. 2-3 drops probably isnt' enough but that way you are safe. To tell the truth raising the PH slowly is probably best for the fish.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Put crushed coral in a mesh bag and add it to your filter, or use some in your substrate. Or find some rock that will raise your PH (I think Madasafish has some Texas holey rock that will do the trick). You also should know your KH before attempting to adjust your PH in any way. You really need to know the whole picture.

Using chemicals to adjust your PH is sketchy, and if you don't have a really good understanding of what you're doing, you could set yourself up for a big PH crash. Not good for the fish. The shock can kill them.
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Hey Gary,

Welcome to AquariumAdvice! Hope you like it here--we all have a blast.

Def use more than 2-3 drops at a time. As I recall, pH up and pH down from DocWellfish require 15 drops per something per something (hehe--not so specific, but neither is the bottle!). Once again, poor instructions...

But I'd try adding at least 10-15 drops and monitoring the pH. How big is the tank? If it's a 2.5 or 5.5 gallon, take notmuffy's advice. If its a 10 or larger take mine. If it's a 55, try a little more.

Don't assume that the anions will immediately bond with the cations. The pH may take a little time to increase, so add the drops and wait for an hour or so. Do it gradually over a few days if you can, for the sake of your fish.

BTW, why do you need to raise the pH from 6.2? What species do you have in there? If you have mostly South American fish (tetras, cories, plecos, discus) or loaches, you're probably in the right pH zone. Don't change it if you don't have to. Most of us here prefer not to use chemicals if possible (I often do, though, as I've got finnicky fish with different needs). If you've got angels, guppies, African Cichlids, rainbows, or goldfish you might want to increase your pH a little, to try and neutralize the tank. I'm sad to hear that SeaChem's pH Neutralizer hasn't worked for you--though I did read a similar complaint a month or two ago. It's always worked for me...

BTW, I'm not surprised your pH is so low. NJ has a lot of acidic wetlands. I wonder if the wetlands or some other element of the geology there is affecting your pH. I'll let you know! I'm going there today on a small geological expedition.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am new to the hobby and like you I wanted to adjust the ph in my tanks as it did not match the requirements of the fish in the tank. after weeks of frustration I spoke to several LFS and the concensus was not to worry about it as most of the local fish shops were using the same water chemistry as myself, and in changing the ph to much woould cause problems with the survival rate of any new stock because of the sudden changes in ph levels.

I may be wrong but would like to hear from other members as to their opinion.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
The fish you listed seem to be from South America, or the majority are anyways. I'm not sure it is necessary to raise your ph, where you have it should be fine.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I spoke to several LFS and the concensus was not to worry about it as most of the local fish shops were using the same water chemistry as myself, and in changing the ph to much woould cause problems with the survival rate of any new stock because of the sudden changes in ph levels.
This is definitely how I see it. If you have fish that you purchased locally and are not trying to breed, then leave it be. It is so much easier than fooling with it, and your fish can do fine in your water, especially if they are acclimated to it. If your KH is on the low side you are not going to have any success with these pH manipulating chemicals. Many of the fish we buy are bred in water that does not resemble their native water, and they do fine. If you want to start breeding them, it might be a different story, but I would then select fish that prefer the water you already have (rams, discus, etc). Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, messing with pH without knowing KH/dH levels can cause major probs such as a pH crash, which can hurt or even kill your fish. Do take a read here, which will explain it better then I: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-chem.html

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level, ph level, ph levels, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com