adopting a fish please help ID it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glofish tetra as in one of those fish they inject with something to make them glow under blacklight?

Glofish tetra as in one of those fish they inject with something to make them glow under blacklight?

glofish actually breed true and only the first batches of fish created in the lab were spliced with a jellyfish gene. its not nearly as unethical as the tattooed skirt tetras and other tattooed fish.

I picked up the green glo tetra today. And noticed a patch of scales missing and the fish was swimning funny. I tested their tank water when I got home and it was lime 8 ppm ammonia. I figure ammonia poisoning. I added it to my fully cycled tank but should I do anything else or should it get better on its own?

Also I notice it doesnt get along w my dwarf gourami. (Unless they are just playing). I dont want anymore glofish but what if I add some black skirt tetras? Will the glofish school w them? Do colors matter?

I also have red eye tetras a few neons and albino corys in this 20g tank.

Thanks.

Gourami's can be territorial. Just keep a close eye on them, the tetra is weak from the ammonia poisoning that it has suffered. Being in a healthy tank with fresh water should help it tremendously. Keep your water nice a clear and it will likely get better. It should school with black skirts just fine. How many of the other types of fish do you have?

5 red eyes
4 albino corys
3 neons (1 i just adopted) but im done with those. Ive lost about 7 of them. They just keep showing up dead.
Then the dwarf flame gourami.

Im going to add more plants today too. (All artificial)

You should be fine to add 3-5 more black or gold skirt tetras. They are all the same species, just different color morphs. They should all happily school with your glotetra.

Back
Top Bottom