Advantages and disadvantages to a tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well.... the judge has ruled, and I can only keep one of the big tanks. So its either a normal 55 Gallon w/ stand and hood, or 90 gallon oceanic tall with stand, hood, and cover.

I think I will choose the 90 gallon Tall. What are the advantages to a tall?
I know that it doesnt get as much surface area with air to water contact as a long, but I should still pick the 90 gallon..... right?

Also, I am going to need to ask a couple of questions about which heater, which light (currently a 48" 40 watt), and which filter I need to get. I am planning on sand substrate, and moderate-light plants.
Thanks ya'll,
Andy

I would go with the 90 gal because it is bigger and it will allow more fish. Some don't like tall tanks because they can not reach the bottom of it, but I love them. You will learn how to work in the tank dispite the height. Ie: For aquascaping, we use the python to move around the sand instead of sticking our arms in the tank. Also, we have an extended planter that we use to move the plants around with.

For a heater, I would get two 250 watt heaters. Visi-Therm Stealth's are my fav. This tank will be harder to plant because of the height. If you are really set on a planted tank, you may want to go wtih the 55. How tall is the tank?

I think the biggest problem is getting oxygen to the bottom of the tank. Air pumps tend to wear out pretty quick with tall tanks...but go with the 90 gallon....it's bigger, meaning you can hold more pretty fishies!!

Dragonchild85 said:
I think the biggest problem is getting oxygen to the bottom of the tank. Air pumps tend to wear out pretty quick with tall tanks...but go with the 90 gallon....it's bigger, meaning you can hold more pretty fishies!!

If I go lightly planted, say.... javas with my 90 gallon. Even though it is only a 40 watt bulb, should those plants let off enough oxygen to help my bottom feeders? Because I only have room on my hood for 1 light housing, so I might be able to get a 110 watt bulb no problem, but that wont be enough either.

Thanks again,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom