Advice appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewbieFishGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Decided on a 40 gallon tank... Over the next 2 months I'd like to have the tank filled with:
6-8 Glofish
2 Assorted Veil Angelfish
2-3 Sunburst Platies
1 Cory Cat TBD
1-2 Dalmation Mollies
3-5 Neon Tetras

Looking at black gravel substrate with a little neon mixed. Fake plants and a few decorations. Would this work?

Hello and welcome to AA! :)

It will take several years for angelfish to grow large enough, but there is a possibility that your neons will be eaten. I have had adult angelfish eat fish larger than neons. Then again, not all of them do.

If you decide to go with neons, I would suggest buying more than 3-5. They are less shy (meaning, more interesting to watch) when you keep them in groups of 10 or more.

Glofish can be a somewhat controversial topic among hobbyists. I'm personally not a fan due to the fact that they are genetically modified, and also because I find the unnatural neon colors rather garish. That said, if you want to try Glofish, you could keep 6-8 like you mentioned above. Zebra danios (Glofish are modified zebra danios) sometimes have a tendency to nip the fins of other fish, so be sure to watch out for that. Young angels might be at risk there.

2-3 sunburst platies should be fine.

Cory cats are great, but I would recommend adding more than just one. They are more interesting when kept in groups. I'd suggest 3 or more.

Mollies, I would leave out, just because they get rather large and produce a lot of waste. I would increase the number of neons instead.

The fish don't care if the decor is real or fake, so decorate however you see fit. They do appreciate cover, so a nice assortment of fake plants will be appreciated.

Thank you very much for the advice. I do have a couple follow up questions from your response if you don't mind:
If I remove the mollies and go with say 8 neons, 3 Cory's, 6-8 glofish (or zebras if my morals win over), 2 angels, 2-3 sunbursts, would there be room to add anything else or should I cap it there? If adding is possible, anything you would recommend?
Again, thank you for your help, I have been researching a ton buts its always nice to get info from personal experiences and not a book.

Thank you very much for the advice. I do have a couple follow up questions from your response if you don't mind:
If I remove the mollies and go with say 8 neons, 3 Cory's, 6-8 glofish (or zebras if my morals win over), 2 angels, 2-3 sunbursts, would there be room to add anything else or should I cap it there? If adding is possible, anything you would recommend?
Again, thank you for your help, I have been researching a ton buts its always nice to get info from personal experiences and not a book.

I would up your cories to atleast 5. They do better in groups of atleast 5.

I'd up the neons to 10 and add the rest that you mentioned. Stock slowly, of course.

I would up your cories to atleast 5. They do better in groups of atleast 5.

It has been my experience that it really doesn't make any difference.

Decided on a 40 gallon tank... Over the next 2 months I'd like to have the tank filled with:
6-8 Glofish
2 Assorted Veil Angelfish
2-3 Sunburst Platies
1 Cory Cat TBD
1-2 Dalmation Mollies
3-5 Neon Tetras

Looking at black gravel substrate with a little neon mixed. Fake plants and a few decorations. Would this work?

I would drop the molliesbas suggested above. Instead how about:
10x neons
10x cories
10x glofish
2x angels
2-3x platy
1x bristlenose pleco

If you go with a smaller cory you could maybe squeeze in one more school still. Maybe hatchetfish.

Love the feedback! :) Godfan, I like your recommendation. I'm thinking I might go with just that. May play around with the singular bristlenose Pleco option tho.
Thanks again!

I would drop the molliesbas suggested above. Instead how about:
10x neons
10x cories
10x glofish
2x angels
2-3x platy
1x bristlenose pleco

If you go with a smaller cory you could maybe squeeze in one more school still. Maybe hatchetfish.

I agree with most of this, but one caveat: if the OP is planning on keeping the angelfish in this 40 gallon tank with no upgrades in the foreseeable future, I would have to disagree about the extra school of fish, the pleco, and upping the cories to 10, although I think you could do 5-6 if you were meticulous about water changes. I have had some very large angelfish, one pair of which made a 75 gallon look a bit cramped. I do agree that the glofish (or regular zebra danio, depending on what OP decides) could get pushed up to 10.

Of course, it will take several years for the angelfish to grow to that size.

Good point s.m. I think I'm gonna go with 5 false julii cories, 8-10 danios, 8-10 neons, 2-3 platy, and 2 angels. If the angels start getting to big, I will cross that bridge when I get there :) A larger tank is never out of the question down the road...

Good point s.m. I think I'm gonna go with 5 false julii cories, 8-10 danios, 8-10 neons, 2-3 platy, and 2 angels. If the angels start getting to big, I will cross that bridge when I get there :) A larger tank is never out of the question down the road...

I would try your best to buy them as young and small as you can find. It

You could definetly do the extra school without the platies. They are dirty.

Back
Top Bottom