Advice for a 100+ gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluecheese

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry for the long post, but I am seeking advice on set up for a 100-180 gallon freshwater tank.

My job is building a new facility within the next 6 months. I have a 30 gallon tank sitting around at my house that I was going to put in my new office. I approached my boss to see if he was cool with that, and his response was "No, you're not going to put a 30 gallon tank in your office. What we're going to do is install a 150 gallon tank in the wall so that it can be seen in both in your office and the reception area. You just need to maintain it."

Pretty cool, right?

But a tank that size presents a number of problems for me. I've never had a tank that large before. The largest tank I have is a 55 gallon high tech planted tank. Also, the tank will need to be viewed from two sides, which means that I can't use the back of the tank to hide hoses/overflows/wires/etc.

So, doing some searching and brainstorming over the weekend, this is what I was thinking:
-The boss said 150 gallon tank, but I'm thinking a 180 gallon would be better, since it is shorter than the 150 gallon and will be easier to get my hands in there to reach the bottom if needed.
-How to handle water changes is something I need to figure out.
-An African Cichlid tank. Probably Lake Tanganyika, unless y'all have a better idea.
-The tank will require a sump, which means that,
-Since the tank needs to be viewed from two sides, bulkheads for the overflows, outlets, etc. will need to be drilled into the center of the bottom pane of the tank.
-The overflow in the center of the tank will be hidden by rockwork.
-I've never used a sump before, so I need to study up on that.
-I need to figure out lighting here. I'm guessing some sort of fixtures hanging above the tank would be cheaper than buying something made for aquariums.

That's what I have so far. Thoughts/concerns/advice will be very welcome. Thank you.

Both of those are terrible suggestions, clown knives get 3+ feet, as do most gar. And what does one of every kind of Cichlid even mean, their are thousands....

Op, the tanganikyan idea sounds great, and with a 180 you could do rock dwellers shell dwellers and open water swimmers. I’d scape it roughly half with lots of rock work and the other half open sand with lots of shells and go from there

Back
Top Bottom