advice for ebay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd worry about customs and that is what some of the complaints were about. The biggest concern I would have is the method of shipping and what they will do if the plants arrive in not so good shipping. Seems a bit risky to me to be sure. You could try posting here in the barter/trade forum to see if any members have the plants you are looking for first.

I wouldn't risk it based on the feeback. It appears that it takes at least 3 weeks in the mail.

no way.. even the positive feedback is negative... I don't buy from people with negative feedback... unless its like 1 in the past 12 months or something.... and trust me, i buy a LOT of stuff off of ebay.. LOL. currenlty im awaiting a painting and some gold replacement balls for my belly button ring.

That is a rediculous amount of negative feedback! Don't even bother. The barter/trade forum here is a great place to get some plants while paying only shipping/handling charges.

I was considering this seller as well. From looking at the feedback, it appears that the "Express Shipping" that comes at the flat $17 rate is not the "Express Airmail" that they guarentee live arrival for. One person quoted "Express Airmail" at $35. You also need to pay extra for "insurance" that guarentees arrival. (Thier "insurance" does not cover condition of package, but the seller will not give out refunds for lost uninsured packages.)

Most of the people who didn't have shipping problems were happy, although a few complained about the plants being smaller than expected.

They have a kind of moss I've not seen before, if anyone wants to pay the extra shipping and take the risk. It seems most of the happy cusomers were from the SF area, so they had minimal shipping time and customs delays.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00003567420&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Well, I wouldn't say this guy is a bad seller, but if you buy a plant from Singapore, you had better get the fastest shipping you can if you want that plant to come to you alive. Most of the plants I've bought online don't last much longer than 3 days in a package.

I'm not so certian I would trust a seller thats out of the contry to not sell plants that are on the US invasive species list.
btw. I havnt wached this seller its just an oppinon, if you want plants it would be wise getting them within the contry you live, there should be a reputable business that imports them if need be.

greenmaji said:
I'm not so certian I would trust a seller thats out of the contry to not sell plants that are on the US invasive species list.
Good point. There is also concerns with how long customs will hold something up, no matter how much you pay for shipping. I remember at my last job having to wait a couple weeks for a special ream of paper to clear customs.

dskidmore said:
There is also concerns with how long customs will hold something up, no matter how much you pay for shipping. I remember at my last job having to wait a couple weeks for a special ream of paper to clear customs.

You have a very valid point, it sometimes takes a week or better just passing something from the US to Canada though customs.

greenmaji said:
You have a very valid point, it sometimes takes a week or better just passing something from the US to Canada though customs.

I can attest to that. 17 days to get a box of coins/notes through customs from Canada to the US.

Here I thought the guy I paid (a friend) was terribly sick or stole my money. Bad storms knocked out his electricty so contact was a no go.

there are many good sellers on aquabid that sell cheap. also if you ask in the planted forum there are users there that sometimes send out cuttings for a small fee.

there are also reputable sellers on ebay within the states. I placed an order for all my plants through one seller and was very happy - given the prices I paid (ie: CHEAP) the plants were great

i read through 20 pages of bad feedback. and i would not go for it.
the sellers making excuses and blaming the people who gave him money for the arrival of live plants.
you could take the chance and it being a waste or going through someone with like one bad feedback instead of 78 in on year. thats all it shows is that last year.

There's a malysian dealer with good selection that has only 1 bad feedback in the last 12 months, but you still have to deal with the issues of importing and customs.

I never deal with ebay members who have less than 98% positive feedback. I'm sure you can find a US ebayer who has plants or someone on AA, as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom