Advice for Fry Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning on breeding platies (and maybe panda cories in the distant future), and wanted to get a grow-out tank. I want a 10 gallon, but might not be able to get one that big, depending on the cost... would a smaller one be okay? If so, what size?
I'm hoping to get a kit that come with a filter and heater, but I don't want get a dinky one that'll break or work poorly. Are there any recommendations on this?
For decor I'm thinking bare bottom tank, and NO plastic plants if I can help it. Most of the ones in my area are garish and gross looking. Might get a piece of driftwood and try to get ahold of some Java moss and floating moss balls. Sound good? Or not?

You can probably get away with 5g depending upon how many fry you anticipate having at any given time. Bigger is better simply because the bigger the tank, the more stable the water parameters.

For a fry tank, an air-driven sponge or corner/box filter would work well and be safer for the fry than a power filter.

The decor is up to you, really, although the less the better when it comes time to get them out of the tank. I would, though, recommend a shallow layer of substrate.

Back
Top Bottom