Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Advice needed -- adding new fish

I have a 29 gallon tank. It currently doesn't have any fish (last tenant/cichlid died). I've recently converted it to a planted tank with the intention that it will be a community tank. I think the tank is already cycled since I'm using the biowheel from before. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. The new plants are doing well and have fresh leaves growing. They are still a little small (6-8") and I've been holding off on getting fish until the roots are better established. I'm using untreated well water at the moment and my ph is fairly high at 8.0; it's very hard too. I've got a portable RO unit on the way and I'm hoping to slowly drop that ph (goal is 7-7.5) and hardness over the next few weeks as I let my plants get better established. Ultimately I'm planning on adding: 8xNeon Tetra, 8xHarlequin Rasbora, 6xCherry Barbs, and 5xSterbai Cory. AqAdvisor puts that at 99%.

Anyway, I don't have a good, nearby LFS. Best option is a PetSmart that is 30min away. So I'm debating about how to add fish to my tank when I'm ready. Would it be better to slowly add 3-5 at a time from PetSmart over the course of a few weeks? Or would I be better to order online? My only issue with an online purchase is that the shipping is not cheap. I could afford to do 2 (maybe 3) purchases, but that would mean adding a lot of fish at once. How should I go about this?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Enthusiast

Tank of the Month Award

If your readings are 0, 0, and 0 I don't think you have any bacteria anymore in your tank which means it needs to cycle again I think

WAR EAGLE
abw0004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, fish, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com