Advice needed -- adding new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grumble69

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank. It currently doesn't have any fish (last tenant/cichlid died). I've recently converted it to a planted tank with the intention that it will be a community tank. I think the tank is already cycled since I'm using the biowheel from before. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. The new plants are doing well and have fresh leaves growing. They are still a little small (6-8") and I've been holding off on getting fish until the roots are better established. I'm using untreated well water at the moment and my ph is fairly high at 8.0; it's very hard too. I've got a portable RO unit on the way and I'm hoping to slowly drop that ph (goal is 7-7.5) and hardness over the next few weeks as I let my plants get better established. Ultimately I'm planning on adding: 8xNeon Tetra, 8xHarlequin Rasbora, 6xCherry Barbs, and 5xSterbai Cory. AqAdvisor puts that at 99%.

Anyway, I don't have a good, nearby LFS. Best option is a PetSmart that is 30min away. So I'm debating about how to add fish to my tank when I'm ready. Would it be better to slowly add 3-5 at a time from PetSmart over the course of a few weeks? Or would I be better to order online? My only issue with an online purchase is that the shipping is not cheap. I could afford to do 2 (maybe 3) purchases, but that would mean adding a lot of fish at once. How should I go about this?

If your readings are 0, 0, and 0 I don't think you have any bacteria anymore in your tank which means it needs to cycle again I think

Back
Top Bottom