Advice Needed - Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ady1397

Aquarium Advice Regular
:wink:
I have a 30 Gal tall tank and im pretty sure i have too many fish but any advice would be appreciated.

2 x 40Gal Wisper Filters (3 way) More Filtration?
2 x 4inch Air Stones
2 x 10inch Air Bars More Air?
1 14inch Air Bar
Heater set at 74 F Lower Temp??

10 x 1in Assorted (redcap,blackmoore,calico,chocholate,fantail)
2 x 2in Orandas
2 x 3in Rhyukin (1 is a calico)
1 x 3in Black Moore
2 x 2in Plecos
2 x Snails

I have a lot of Fish!! but i have plenty of filtration and air and i keep the water crystal clear..Any suggestions???

There is a lot of bubbles, its BUBBLETASTIC!!!
Do goldfish like current?

The fish usually huddle on the bottom.. are they tiered? too much current from the bubbles?

they do swimm around and since i added all those bubble bars they dont gasp at the surface any more..

Please help.. :p

One moment. I'm getting over the shock.

Ok.

You are so incredibly overstocked its not funny. As these fish grow, unless you give away all but like..3.. You need a 200 gallon tank minimum.

Every fish listed it an enormous waste producer, and they all grow over 10 inches.

Please test your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Then begin to find homes for all but 2 goldfish, the snails, and maybe 1 pleco.

Those pleco definatly have to go soon. Then work on the goldfish. for 30 gallon you could have 3-4 of the fancy goldfish since they stay smaller than common ones. If fish are huddled at the bottom or gasping at teh surface that mean they are not getting enough air usually. Clear water isn't always the best indication of quality. I would be doing a water change evey 2nd day with that many fish to make sure there is no ammonia and nitrites.

With all those air stones i put in there yesturday i dont think its the air thats is the problem... Ammonia is fine ....ph is ok too

im Overcrowded :oops:

Air stones don't directly add air. In fact the bubbles do nothing but float to the top. The important thing is surface agitation, which the air bubbles do help create, but not nearly as much as your filters do probably.

whew when you stock your tank think of the adult sizes of the fish not the size they are when you get them.. plecos alone can grow to 2 feet long..

and goldfish need at LEAST 10 gal per fish.. a lot of people reccommend 20 gal..

how is your ammonia level? goldfish and plecos produce tons of waste i hope you do daily water changes of around 20-30% for the ammount of big waste producers you have in there.. good luck!! :D

Nods on the bubbles not adding much O2 to the tank! Gas exchange depends on surface area of the tank, which is increased by surface aggitation. However, with the number of fish, there is no way you can increase the surface area enough. A general rule is 20 square inches of surface area per inch of goldfish - and this is on the low end of the recommendation.

With the number of fish you have, you need a POND! :D

I wish i could put a pond in my tiny nyc apartment.......I would step in it all day long.

My cats would have a great time though..!! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom