Advice needed, Syncrossus Berdmorei / Red Tail Tiger Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need a scavenger alternative for my two agressive New World Cichlid tanks. 120 gal & 65 gal
I currently have Bristlenose Plecos on the cleanup crew in both tanks but want to add another
species. I can't keep Cory Cats. They wouldn't survive long due to the larger cichlids.
Yesterday I stumbled upon juvenile Syncrossus Berdmorei Loaches. Aka: Red Tail Tiger Loach
at my favorite LFS. I've never seen a better looking loach. They were only an inch long, very active and were in a display tank along with different, much larger loaches. The Berdmoreis were vigorously scavaging the bottom. I almost bought some, but decided I'd hold off until i did some research. I know loaches are a popular subject on AA and was hoping for some input.
I have kept the standard Tiger Loach, Syncrossus Helodes, in the past. The group of five, 4" inch Tigers, wiped out a massive infestation of snails within a couple of weeks. After that they pestered every other fish in the tank to the point I had to remove them. Not an easy task.
Although the standard Tigers were nice looking Loaches, they are not even in the same league as the Red Tail Tigers. Research reveals the Red Tails are somewhat smaller and are the most colorful of the Tigers, but the reviews are mixed reference aggression. I'm hoping for some of our resident Loach experts to chime in. I've got to act fast, the Red Tails won't last long.

I went ahead and bought six tiny juvenile Berdmorei Botias. I put three in the 120 display tank and the other three in the 65 Grow out tank. A Firemouth killed one in the 120. A Juvenile Salvini terminated one in the 65. The Firemouths apparently are ignoring the survivors now. The Salvinis, on the other hand, relentlessly hunt the Berdmorei in every crevice and cave.
I'm going to tear the 65 down and rehome the two survivors into the 120. The Berdmoreis are beautiful fish, but evidently not common. I'm on the lookout for substantially larger ones.

Attachments

• 20180222_095640.jpg
    20180222_095640.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180222_095536.jpg
    20180222_095536.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom