Advice on diy built-in filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LS240

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 135 gallon with a diy 3d background. I was planning on going with a Filstar XP L canister filter and still may, but I'm considering the diy route. Here are my thoughts: leave a chamber in the foam perhaps 6" by 6" square that runs from bottom to top of the tank. Put an inlet on the bottom with a screen to prevent fish getting inside. Fill the first layer with lava rock or some other biomedia, with open cell foam cut to fit above that. I have 3 old 402 powerheads sitting around which are rated at 270gph. My plan is to use 2 of those pumping water up this column and out through spray bars made from drilled pvc. The top of the foam will be higher than the water level so all water pulled by the pumps must be pulled up the column through the media.

Any thoughts or advice? Does this sound sufficient for a planted 135 gallon with a fairly heavy stock? Would I be better off with 2 filter columns with one powerhead in each corner as opposed to the single column as described above?

It shouldn't be. Just pull the powerheads out of the way and the foam can be pulled out to be rinsed or replaced. Easy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom