Advice on filters for a 125G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the opportunity to get a used 125G aquarium, and mainly just need to inspect it and decide if I want to spend the money on it. First off, it's a nearly complete setup (aquarium, stand, cheap plastic hoods, aqua-tech filter w/heater), for about $450. That seems to be a decent price based on just the cost of a new tank from the local stores. Considering that the tank and the stand are probably all I will be using long term, does that sound like a good deal?

Second, I can't find any info on the filter. I am assuming it's an HOB, but could be wrong. I would like to use a cannister, but can't figure out which way to go. The RENA XP3 says it is good for up to 175G, but there are no GPH specs, so I'm not sure I can trust that. Looking at Eheim's site, it appears that I would need at least a Pro2 2128, which is a lot more expensive but includes a heater (nice to have that out of the tank). On the flip side, I could buy 3 of the RENA's for the cost of the Eheim. Any other ideas?

I know I will have to upgrade the lighting significantly, and replace the plastic hoods with glass. But it seems to me I could probably get the tank running for under $1K. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The Drs Foster and Smith website has the XP3 rated at a max of 350 GPH. I would think this filter would be efficient enough to use on a 125g. Others may disagree and suggest you get it plus a HOB. I'm not sure how big a HOB would be needed to go with it though.

I have a 150gl (UK) OR 670 Ltr depending on what measurement you use.
I use an Eheim 2217 as my main method of filtration. It does 1000 ltr per hour and its fed back into the tank (angled slightly up to cause surface agitation) via a spray bar.
My second method of filtration is via another canister filter, an Eheim 2213 which comes with a heater inside.
The heating of the tank is shared between the 2213 and a 300w heater which sits at the opposite end of the tank to the return feed from the 2213. ie. The tank is being heated from both ends.

Both canister filters have ceramic tubes in them with the 2217 also having a fine foam disc to help filter out the finer particles.

Water clarity is superb with this set up and by that I mean it is crystal clear. I clean the surface of the sand twice a week (have a couple of messy plecs) and the front glass every week.

I have 23 tropical fish, with no fish being bigger than 30mm (3cm) in size.

Ammonnia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 (which is what it comes out of the tap at).

Hope that gives you a bit of info on the type of set up I use and what benefit its been to me.

Have fun :)

For a 125G, a single XP3 should be fine, unless you are planning on a heavier bioload. But it will do the job. :)

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm planning for a moderately heavy planted tank (2-2.5 WPG). As for fish, I'm thinking more small fish - I'm not interested in any sea monsters, with 6" being the upper limit of what I am considering.

Right now I'm leaning towards the XP3 and an in-line heater, and possibly adding a second cannister later as the bioload goes up (if needed). The temps in the house are very stable right now, but I expect to need more heat in the winter when the setbacks go into effect. I figure I'll wait until I need the second can to add another inline, but realize that reality may clash with my plans. Any ideas on a good inline heater? I have only found the Hydor so far.

For substrate, I'm planning on a dual setup - areas of PFS segregated from areas of eco-complete. I'll be using slate/rock "retaining walls" to keep them seperate. I may even put some gravel in some areas, depending on what fish I end up with and what they like.

Finally, does everyone think that the deal on the aquarium is reasonable, or should I be trying to talk him down or skip the deal altogether? Thanks again!

I would defintly use a canister on a tank that size, I'd put some ceramic rings, purigen, filter floss, and maybe something for phosphates in it

I would use two canisters for the tank size. While one may be fine, two would be even better. For anything over 75 gal I recommend two different filters. Stay away from the hobs.

Thanks, everyone. I went ahead and bought the tank, and will be ordering the accessories over the weekend. The good news is that the picture didn't show the glass tops, so that's one less thing I will have to replace. I'll go ahead and use the HOBs that are already on it to start the cycle, then set up the rest to run in parallel to make sure everything is seeded and stable.

Should I still get 2 XP3's, or just an XP3/XP2 or 2 XP2's? I like the idea of having enough filtration to keep it going should one fail, but I don't want to create so much current that I get white caps! :)

Plus, I still haven't come close to deciding how to stock it yet, and some of the options I am looking at like low current.

I would think one 3 and one two would be fine.I've never had a tank that size,just based on what I've read here over time.

They come with spray bars and valves that allow you th throttle back the flow,so you will be in charge of the current in the tank.

Congrats on the purchase...I have tank envy,you going to have some good times with that thing.

src said:
Should I still get 2 XP3's, or just an XP3/XP2 or 2 XP2's? I like the idea of having enough filtration to keep it going should one fail, but I don't want to create so much current that I get white caps! :)

a number of XP owners drill out the holes on the spray bar to the next size. By increasing the hole size slightly, you reduce the velocity of the filteretd water.

I just did this to mine as my smaller fish were having trouble with the current.

Back
Top Bottom