Advice on new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bahamut89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I currently have a 180l tank and the following -
Red tail shark
5 botai loaches
Bristle nose pleco
Platy
Swordtail
6 neon tetras
3 honey gouramis

Could I add more or is my tank already full. I kind of want 1 medium sized fish.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A medium fish might be problem with the neons. Normally I would recommend like an angelfish but I don't know if the angel will eat them when it gets big enough.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. What about something like a kissing gourami? Can I get them on their own or do they have to be in pairs?

Have you tried plugging the size of the tank and list of current inhabitants into AqAdvisor? It is an online calculator that will provide information on your stocking plus compatibility recommendations.
Kissing gouramis can get to 10-12" long and need a larger tank (75g).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh no I haven't. Didn't know about that. Thanks for the info

I've found that AqAdvisor to be quite inconstant and off. At least with my experience with it.

It's quite handy. But it says that my tank is 15% stocked and needs better filtration. I have a Juwel Rio 180L 3.0/600.

Now I'm worried. I might have to get a new filter maybe ..or maybe add more sponges and filter media to the existing one.

How old is the shark? If it is a juvenile be prepared for trouble as it grows. I've found they do best with fish their own size. What kind of filter do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there. Its currently about 2 years old. Probably just over.
Aww...but I really like him. He's my favourite fish in the whole tank

I have the filter that came with the tank. Its a Juwel Rio 180L so the filter is the 3.0/400.
I replace the media as instructed on the manual. Except the Citrax one which has a lot of the bacteria in it so I thought I'd just leave it in there.

2 years is adult. If he's not harassing the current fish I'd be cautious adding new ones. My rainbow kept a school of tiger barbs pinned down and stressed until death.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So 47.5g for those of us that use gallons.

Not many fish are happy as singles.
The ones that are tend to be territorial. I would add more Neons.

I have 14 Neons in my 55g. They look so much better in a big group. I plan to add 6 more.

Watch the RT Shark, they can become quite cranky.

No Kissing Gourami...they get huge and can be quite nasty.

A Pearl Gourami might work. Usually very calm for their size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yeah I think I'll get more neons (maybe about 10 more) and taht should fill up the tank nicely. I'm not really keen on having too many fish so I think after I get the neons i might leave the tank as is and not get anymore. The ones I already have seem to be quite happy and the shark mostly leaves them alone. Sometimes he gets angry with the kubotai loaches but from what i've seen, they feel pretty safe in their group and ignore him completely. Not scared of him at all.

Back
Top Bottom