Advice on new fish to add to my 50 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dm76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I haven't been on this forum in a few years but got a lot of help when building my tank. It is a 50 gallon wide planted tank with a couple pieces of driftwood. Right now it has the following:

1 pearl gourami
4 harlequin rasboras
2 black neon tetras
3 sterbai corys
1 bristlenose pleco
many many many red cherry shrimp!

I had more than that originally but some died over 3 or 4 years. I had 3 pearls initially but two died within the first month, and I used to have 6 each of the harlequins and tetras, 4 sterbai, 4 otos, and a bamboo shrimp.

Since there aren't too many fish in there now, I would love to hear some opinions on some fish to add. Maybe something different, something to add more color, maybe a couple bigger ones too since the pearl is the only big one (more gouramis maybe?). I definitely want another bamboo shrimp because that looked pretty cool in there, but other than that I am open to hear your ideas. And of course nothing that will not get along with what I have in there now. Here is a picture of the tank as it looks now

2013_02_25_20_57_58_503.jpg

Up the rasbora, tetra, and Cory shoals to six as the like being in (larger) groups. Very pretty tank btw!

I thought about doing that and getting them back up to 8 each, but kind of wanted something different. Will those tetras school with other types of tetras? Or if I add more of the same, can I add a whole other school of different fish as well? I would also like to have at least one other fish that stands out but will get along with the gouarami and not eat the shrimp.

I would go with Rainbow fish. They are very beautiful community fish. Boesemani are the most popular, but there are many cool varities and most good local non-chain pet stores can get a lot of varities. My avatar is a picture of one of my Sepik Rainbows.

I'm going by the fish store today so I think I'll start by buying 4 more harlequins to up them to 8. Then I'll take a look at everything there and if there is anything that catches my eye I'll check back with you guys to see if it will work. Thanks for the replies.

I ended up buying 4 more harlequins and a bamboo shrimp. I looked around the shop and saw some green neon tetras that I have never noticed before. I think I like those better than the regular neon tetras and they would probably look pretty good in my tank. If I added those instead of getting more black neons, would the 3 black neons I have school with those?

Great. What do you think, like 6 maybe? More? Then I would have two shoals (the rasboras and the tetras). Would I still be able to get one more shoal of something else in there? I really would like another big fish in there but I don't want to disrupt the pearl so if there is a risk of that then it won't be worth it. But even if it's not big, another unique type of fish or two in there would be great.

Agreed, if it was my tank, I would possibly get like 2 more cories and the 6 green neons. That's a pretty bustling tank! IMO, that's perfect!

I think I originally had 6 so maybe I will get 2 more. Funny you mention that because ever since I trimmed the plants a couple of weeks ago, I am seeing the coriies a lot. I trim them every few months but have never seen them as often as I am now. They are pretty fun to watch! I used to have otos too but those eventaully died. Those were always hiding out.

Back
Top Bottom