Advice on new molly tank needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imamesshelpme

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 17L temporary tank, with two mollies; one male, one female. Three plants, one fake log, and amethyst gravel. (unsure if this even matters) The tank is cycled and treated with a small amount of AQ salt.
I have a 65L tank of which I'm planning to get up and running next Wednesday, when i get the stand delivered.

My concern is about the tank the mollies are currently in. I know that the males can often stress out a female to the point of death, and although he only chases her a few times a day and they're usually side by side, I'm worried about her getting too stressed. I moved the tank to a different part of the room a few days ago, which I'm pretty sure stressed them both, so I'm trying to keep all stress at a minimum.
Should i purchase some more females now (to hopefully reduce the amount he chases her), or shall i do so in a few months when i have my new tank running and cycled? I'm worried a few months is going to be too long and my current female is going to get overly stressed.
If it helps, she is still eating and swimming around during the mornings/daytime. Evenings she lays on the bottom of the tank a lot, and at night she won't budge. Was quite inactive a few days ago, but seems to have perked up since a water change. She used to surf up and down the glass constantly, but has calmed significantly.

Any advice on setting up a new tank or on mollies in general would be much appreciated, thank you! :)

im...

Mollies aren't a good fish for a beginner. They require near perfect water conditions and a diet with a lot of vegetables.

It's much harder to keep the water clean in a small tank, than a large one. Consider at least a 30 gallon tank if you want to keep a few Mollies and follow an aggressive water change routine, by removing and replacing most of the water every few days.

B

im...

Mollies aren't a good fish for a beginner. They require near perfect water conditions and a diet with a lot of vegetables.

It's much harder to keep the water clean in a small tank, than a large one. Consider at least a 30 gallon tank if you want to keep a few Mollies and follow an aggressive water change routine, by removing and replacing most of the water every few days.

B
I'm fully aware a 17L tank is not suitable for mollies. That is why i called it a temporary tank. My water conditions are near perfect, and I'm researching their diet. I haven't had the fish for a long time as i got them from someone who wasn't caring for them, and am trying to do the best with what i have, hence the small tank. I also remove and replace half of the tank water every few days. Maybe ask before assuming someone's maintenance routines and assuming they're awful just because they're a beginner.
Advice on the issues I'm asking about instead of assuming information and telling me things I'm already fully aware of would be wonderful, thank you.

I'm fully aware a 17L tank is not suitable for mollies. That is why i called it a temporary tank. My water conditions are near perfect, and I'm researching their diet. I haven't had the fish for a long time as i got them from someone who wasn't caring for them, and am trying to do the best with what i have, hence the small tank. I also remove and replace half of the tank water every few days. Maybe ask before assuming someone's maintenance routines and assuming they're awful just because they're a beginner.
Advice on the issues I'm asking about instead of assuming information and telling me things I'm already fully aware of would be wonderful, thank you.

im...

I read your post. I understand you have the fish in a temp tank. However, the 65 L is only 16 gallons. Not a large tank either. I know livebearing fish, I've kept them for many years and can tell you that Mollies require more care than any of the other livebearing species.

Never once said your tank management was awful. I do question you keeping Mollies in such a small environment. But, you're the tank keeper.

Good luck,

B

Sorry for sounding a bit frustrated. Very stressful day, I'm just being defensive. One of the perks of ADD/autism.
I don't have the money at the moment to purchase such a large tank, and it's probably going to be a very long time before i'm able to. The 65L was the best thing i could find within my budget.
My grandparents were on about getting me a large tank for my birthday, but idk how large. So in the meantime, we're going to have to make do with what we have, which is a 65L tank, sadly.
Is there any advice you could give me on how to keep conditions as best and stress free as i can?

I keep mollies although not an expert and agree with the above, but well done for rescuing them.

If you had one more female then his horny little attentions would at least be divided, however I feel extremely apprehensive about 3 mollies in your temporary tank and think getting another female should wait until your bigger tank is cycled.

I initially had an awful ratio of males to females and would say that temporarily if you give her lots of hiding places she should be ok and keep going with being strict on your water parameters then you should be ok short term.

You are also in the excellent position of being able t keep them in brackish water (although go with caution and make slow changes if they are used to fresh)

And on a side note, are you in UK? If so there are loads of 2nd hand tanks available we picked up our 350L set up for £90 ( although the fact we were able to go pick it up helped)

I keep mollies although not an expert and agree with the above, but well done for rescuing them.

If you had one more female then his horny little attentions would at least be divided, however I feel extremely apprehensive about 3 mollies in your temporary tank and think getting another female should wait until your bigger tank is cycled.

I initially had an awful ratio of males to females and would say that temporarily if you give her lots of hiding places she should be ok and keep going with being strict on your water parameters then you should be ok short term.

You are also in the excellent position of being able t keep them in brackish water (although go with caution and make slow changes if they are used to fresh)

And on a side note, are you in UK? If so there are loads of 2nd hand tanks available we picked up our 350L set up for £90 ( although the fact we were able to go pick it up helped)

I thought i should probably wait. The amount of waste these little guys produce is extraordinary. I did get the gravel pump i ordered today, however it's too big, so more inaccurate cleaning for me.
The female has lots of plants and a log, so i'm hoping she should be okay for now.
But yes, i'm in the UK. Doesn't help that i don't drive and can't afford to pay out £90 for a set up though. :/
Thank you for the advice though. Any other tips would be very much recommended. Also, do you recommend wonder shells for mollies? I heard they can help with things like their calcium requirements.

I remember the no money no car times well :-(

I've got no experience with wonder shells and tend to go off my GH and KH. .. I can't see harm in trying something like that as long as you are monitoring these parameters

Ps keep your eye on the 2nd hand tank market even if you have no money. One was sold about 50 miles from here 120L with filter heater and light for £15. Priced to go quickly and was a bit scratched but hey :) although there does seem to be an unusual concentration of Aquarists in Cumbria :-D

I remember the no money no car times well :-(

I've got no experience with wonder shells and tend to go off my GH and KH. .. I can't see harm in trying something like that as long as you are monitoring these parameters

Ps keep your eye on the 2nd hand tank market even if you have no money. One was sold about 50 miles from here 120L with filter heater and light for £15. Priced to go quickly and was a bit scratched but hey :) although there does seem to be an unusual concentration of Aquarists in Cumbria :-D

How would I be able to monitor my GH and KH? Should really invest in some water test strips, but my water was always perfect, so I gave them away. Big mistake.
Also where do you look for 2nd hand tanks? Bc I've been looking on Gumtree and Shpock, but everything is so far!

If your small tank is already cycled, why not just put the filter from there into the bigger tank now? Then they'd have more room and you wouldn't have to wait.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your small tank is already cycled, why not just put the filter from there into the bigger tank now? Then they'd have more room and you wouldn't have to wait.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
<3 this

I think your next investment as soon as funds available needs to be a water testing kit ( personally I found the liquid ones to be much better than test strips but again slightly pricier). Now you have big fatties in there (what I lovingly call my mollies) I imagine water parameters can get volatile in a tank that size, inc ph ammonia nitrites and nitrates.

Listen if you are in the UK and willing to trust a stranger on a forum that promises they aren't a weirdo pm me, I might be able to help you out as long as long as you aren't I.o.w guernsey hebrides etc I could post you my old test strips for now they are better than nothing although don't do ammonia. Postage is cheap as chips on royal mail these days :)

If the above doesn't appeal and your LFS is on a bus route you can take water samples there for testing. Pets at home etc do it for free

Back
Top Bottom