advice on water chemistry please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbzIOW

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any idea how I can soften the water in my tank a bit so I can breed my silver dollars? Thanks

Whats DI water? Ive only heard of ro. Could I mix ro with conditioned tap water without too much bother to other water parameters? Or would I see swings in ph etc?

Also, if I was to use ro , wouldn't I have to add minerals etc back into the water?

Also, if I was to use ro , wouldn't I have to add minerals etc back into the water?

I'm just learning about this too. I started to use RO for my tropical tank as my tap water is already at 40ppm. I mix in minerals that I got from my lfs. Apparently once you start using RO you can't go back to tap water. I tried that last week and my ph swung loads - I didn't realise I couldn't! I have added a nitrate filter to get rid of some nitrate and I've gone back to adding RO but I believe that the fish can't be in pure RO without adding minerals or mixing tap water (you need to calculate the exact proportion of both and then stick to it).

You can go back to tap water with several small water changes. You just have to take it slow.

Really? I'm trying to get my head round it all. I really want my fish to be happy. My nitrate from my tap is 40ppm and I've added a filter bag to both of my tropical tanks to absorb as much nitrate as possible. I'm not sure whether to keep with RO - I only began doing pwc with RO a few weeks ago and the nitrate is reading 5ppm... not sure if its the RO or the nitrate filter bag??

What would you suggest I use?

Sorry herbzIOW - didn't mean to hijack your thread! Think I'm in the same boat.

You might want to start a thread about it. But I think you should test your tap water again. Nitrates often fluctuate in tap water. I would personally use the tap water and maybe add Seachem Matrix and Purigen to your filter. And live plants if possible.

You might want to start a thread about it. But I think you should test your tap water again. Nitrates often fluctuate in tap water. I would personally use the tap water and maybe add Seachem Matrix and Purigen to your filter. And live plants if possible.

Thanks Hholly - I will add more plants. I'm still sitting on the fence about the tap water as I have been testing it regularly and nitrate fluctuates between 30-40ppm. Still seems too high to me.

Back
Top Bottom