Advice wanted on 10gal tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAR_PA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I wrote a while back about my algae and guppy fry but haven't given an update. I have some new questions.

First an update: I moved the fry from the net breeder to the 2nd tank a little too soon. They did great for several weeks and about 2 weeks ago we were watching them zoom all over the place and trying to count them. I think there were about 12. The next morning, there were only 2. I think they succumbed to a nitrite spike as the tank finished cycling :oops: I felt horrible. We quickly moved the remaining two back to the original tank in the netbreeder. After the tank finished cycling and I got 0 nitrites and ammonia for 4 days in a row I moved them back. They seem to be doing fine. THey still look tiny.

In the meantime I had an unfortunate accident in the first tank involving a new eclipse filter hood that I couldn't get the inflow basket filter on because of length. I didn't think big fish would get sucked up but apparently a guppy and platy (together) died this way. Obviously I corrected this problem. :roll: :(

So I let the kids get 2 dwarf african frogs and we also picked up 3 oto catfish. Boy are they fun to watch! They've done a great job keeping the tank clean and the water is now crystal-clear.

However, and here are where my questions come in, the remaining platy and guppies starting acting a little weird after the otos arrived (and soon after losing the friend platy and guppy). At first they still swam all around and then the platy started to just hang out behind the filter. Then the 2 guppies joined him there. This went on for a few weeks. The female guppy looked like she was going to drop fry again and started hanging out in the cave. Two days later I found her dead at the bottom of the tank.

I tested the water and it was fine but did a partial change anyway. The remaining platy (female)and guppy (male) are still hiding. The only other occupants of the tank are the 2 frogs and the 3 oto. Are they lonely? Sick? What should I do?

The 2nd tank with the 2 six-week old babies is starting to grow a rust-colored algae. It wipes up easily. Can I or should I get some oto fish for that tank? How do I know the babies are big enough not to be eaten? They still seem pretty small. From what I read the oto can be senstive to changes so I assume it is not a good idea to move them from one tank to the other or to separate them. Correct?

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Nah, let the algae grow in the fry tank. The brown algae always seems to bloom just as the cycle is done. Then a week or three later the green algae seems to take over. The algae won't hurt the fry, you clean it just for aesthetics. In my 10 gal fry tank, I let the algae be on three sides, I just keep the bottom and front clear. I wouldn't add any other fish with the fry. They will be out-competed for the food and might become food themselves!

Thanks.

Any advice on the lone platy/guppy. The platy is now hiding in the cave almost constantly. I did see her snatch a morsel of food yesterday and then retreat back into the cave. Should I get her some friends? I'm afraid if she is sick and I get her a male that would be the end of her.

Back
Top Bottom