Aeration Duration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im not sure that made sense, but it rhymed =o)

Anyways, with my electric bill in mind, at least how many hours should I leave my aerator thingy on? Or do I not really need one?

To make a calculation of the duration of your aeration without suffering palpitation upon examination of your utilization of.......oh.....never mind!!! :D

As long as you have a filter that circulates the water in your tank adequately you don't really need any additional aeration. However...it does LOOK cool and besides...as long as you're using a small air pump you're probably not using all that much electricity anyway.

haha nice one!

I have two aquariums with the double hose pump type of aerators... I will unplug it during the day and leave it on at nite or something =o) Every penny helps

A 60watt lightbulb utilizes more electricity then an aerator.

if you want to cut your light bill, call your power company. If their anything like Progress Energy [ the people who service Florida ] They will come to your house, identify any energy leaks and give you advice on fixing it so you use less power.

Other than that, Don't leave your TVs on when your not using them, turn lights off when you leave the room, ect ect.

Trust me, Your aerator might cost a nickel to run each month, and honestly... do you want to shortchange living things?

I live in apts, can the power company still come up to apts and check for leaks?

It's pretty much our computers that soak up all the energy, but I was just wondering if it made a difference electrical wise and fish wise.

First of all, I hope this makes you feel better - in NYC, we pay $0.16 per kWH. The typical monthly bill for my 1BR apt is $50 - $70, but that includes using the dishwasher twice a week.

Common electric bill uppers:

Refrigerators
In my previous apartment, my fridge had a crappy gasket. I complained until the university got me a new fridge and immediately realized a $10/month drop in my electric bill. A word of warning, tho - some leases allow the landlord to raise the rent if a major appliance is replaced.

Computer Monitors
When I was writing my thesis, the computer and monitor and lots of lights were on 18 hr/day - not Energy Star either. That ran up the bill.

Electric hotplates, toaster ovens, coffee pots
These energy hogs really run up the bill due to their inefficiency. Use the oven to reheat pizza and boil water - much less expensive - especially if you have gas.

Incandescent lightbulbs
In my present apt, I replaced all my incandescents with compact fluorescents. They're a bit pricey at 5X the cost of regular bulbs, but they last 7-10 X longer and use 10% the energy. They will pay for themselves over the course of a year. Replacing the incandescents in four overhead fixtures and five table lamps saved me $5 a month.

Leaky insulation around air conditioners
Cardboard beer cartons and scotch tape don't work well. Better to invest in some thick corrugated plastic and some weatherstripping to fill in the gaps around your AC. Raise the thermostat 4o, sleep naked :oops: , and save money!

Of course, all my frugality went out the window when I got my two tanks. I estimate that they cost about $20 a month in electricity to run. I'm trying to think of ways to hitch my hyperactive danios to a generator.....

In my apt the only "over head lighting" we have is in the kitchen, everything else is lamps. So that helps and we normally keep most lites off.

The thing about the computer is we use a wireless card for our internet, so if mine is turned off, she can't use the computer and I never know when she is going to use the computer. I keep my monitor off when Im not using the computer but everything else stays on, which is annoying.

And we keep the AC/Heater off unless we desperatly need it. We don't use many kitchen appliences. My fridge has some issues, tho... i think i might call and look into that. I think its just in the computers.. bleh to electric bills!

When a computer is sitting idle, it does not use full current.

The ammount of power a computer draws is dependant on what its doing,

When a computer is sitting idle, with the monitor off, its using less energy than a 30watt lightbulb.

Holy crap! I'm always amazed at american energy bills. When I was in university - 5 years ago, for a large two bedroom apartment, my power bill was about $10 per month. It's gone up a little bit since then, but not too much. Where I live now, power is included monthly.

Last month it was $100-ish. That includes hardly turning on the AC or heater, no overhead lights (just lamps when needed), running the dishwasher ever so often, and having at least one computer on and idle. Oh, and two tanks.

bleh

PlatyLady said:
Holy crap! I'm always amazed at american energy bills. When I was in university - 5 years ago, for a large two bedroom apartment, my power bill was about $10 per month. It's gone up a little bit since then, but not too much. Where I live now, power is included monthly.
We get so gouged for energy prices in NY. :evil:
When I visited Montreal last summer, I was amazed at how relatively cheap gasoline was.
But then, you guys in Canada pay so much more in sales taxes - I guess it evens out in the end.

Back
Top Bottom