Aeration for true pH (gassing off CO2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey jsoong...

I think I have figured out some exact amounts here based on some R.O./tap mixtures. Tell me if this sounds right.

2.5 gallons R.O./1 gallon tap: pH 7.2 AERATED, 2 dKH
3.0 gallons R.O./1 gallon tap: pH 7.0-7.1 AERATED, between 1-2 dKH
3.0+ gallons R.O./1 gallon tap: pH 7.0 and below AERATED, 1dKH

I did this because I wanted to get a mixture that had exactly 2dKH, and I wanted to see the pH that corresponded to it. So, if I wanted to push my KH up to a 2, then it would push my pH up to a 7.2, at least from what I can tell. How does this sound? Keeping my pH at a 7.2 may be be a better option because it gives me a little extra KH. See, I'm learning :p

Purrbox, thanks. Maybe that is something I should invest in.

DSeen:

I am sort of in the same boat as you. I've tried to determine what the best mix of RO & my tap (well water) would be for pH, KH, & GH.

Reading you threads and my own trouble coming up with the proper mix makes me say: "FORGETABOUTIT"

From now on I'll just ask my fish and if they answer I'll know I've been drinking too much again... :drinking:

Also thanks Purrbox, I kept seeing the TDS thing and wondered what that stood for.

I think I have figured out some exact amounts here based on some R.O./tap mixtures. Tell me if this sounds right.

2.5 gallons R.O./1 gallon tap: pH 7.2 AERATED, 2 dKH
3.0 gallons R.O./1 gallon tap: pH 7.0-7.1 AERATED, between 1-2 dKH
3.0+ gallons R.O./1 gallon tap: pH 7.0 and below AERATED, 1dKH

I think you are getting the hang of it! Your numbers are right on!

Test a sample of the 2 dKH mix just to be sure, but I would think that it would be very close. <There is always a bit of error introduced due to our test kit inaccuracies .... The really fanatical (& reefers) would do the measurements with a TDS and a pH meter, but I think it is overkill for FW. >

Well, my tank is full with the filters on, and every time I test my pH, I get a different number. Is this because the tank is circulating, or because I have low KH?

Well, it's about an hour later than that last post, and I have been testing my pH a lot because I am paranoid. Yes, this hobby has made me paranoid. When you are not working and all you do all day is toy on fishtanks and water chemistry, you tend to go a little crazy. Fortunately, it seems to have leveled off.

Anywho, jsoong where are you? In your opinion, which is the better option here...

Option 1: pH 7, KH 1, Gh 1, or
Option 2: pH 7.2 (or maybe even a little higher) KH 2, GH 2 ???

I'm assuming you will say option #2 because of the higher Gh and KH, but I want to be sure.

And one more question too jsoong, and I know you already answered this a million times, but tell me again. If water is carbonate buffered (like mine seems to be) then is it possible to get a pH lower than a 7 without dropping your KH below a 1, excluding the addition of CO2 or other acids?

You're right, I am going to opt for #2. Always err on the side of safety.

The theoretical numbers for a pure carbonate buffered system, after equilibrating with atmospheric levels of CO2, are:

KH of 0 - pH 6.1-6.2
KH of 1 - pH 7.0-7.1
KH of 2 - pH 7.1-7.2

So no, if you want a KH of 1, you can't have pH less than 7.0 unless you add CO2 or other acid buffer.

Back
Top Bottom