African brown Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxboilermaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gal tank currently with 9 blood fin tetras, 2 golden algae eaters and a loach. I just recently added an African Brown knife and so far he's doing quite well. He's my first fish that I've had to activly feed. Can't just sprinkle some flakes on the surface of the water.

Anyway. I've noticed that he will occasionally (especially at night) dart to the surface for a quick breath. This isn't often at all and the other fish never do this. My water parameters are fine, and I'm running enough bio-filtration for a tank 4 times the size. Water temp is held around 77 degrees. Is this a sign that i'm not getting enough surface agitation? I'm not running air, because I don't like the sight of air line running through the tank or the sound of the bubbles. The 2 bio-wheels don't really agitate the surface a whole lot, so all I have for agitation is the main outlet from the filter, and that doesn't provide a whole lot.

Should I run a small air pump and stone?

Secondly, I did research the kife fish before I got him, but when I was talking to the guy at the LFS he mentioned that they can be sensitive to certain water parameters. Didn't remember which ones, and I never found anything in my research. So is there some particular parameter I need to particularly watch?

wxboilermaker....

It is quite normal for African Knife Fish (Xenomystus nigri) to come to the surface for air. Like anabantoids, bichirs, lungfish, etc., the African Knife has the ability to supplement its oxygen supply using atmospheric air. Your fish will do it whether you add additional aeration or not.

The African Knife, being a riverine fish, has the physiology to deal with a wide range of water parameters. Just keep your ammonia and nitrite levels low with regular water changes and you'll be fine (and so will your Knife Fish).

Oh....by the way....as he grows, don't be surprised if your bloodfins start to disappear. The African Knife is an accomplished predator that can reach 12" long when fully adult.

Back
Top Bottom