African Butterfly fish in 20 Gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I was going through a few videos and saw one on African butterfly fishes. I did some research and saw that they should be kept in a 29 gallon, and I have a 20 Long. Since they are surface dwelling fish, is it ok if I keep one in my 20 long? (20 long and 29 gallons have the same amount of surface area). Also, do you think its possible to keep a few dwarf crayfish on the bottom with the butterfly? Thx.

This is a nice interesting read about them in case you haven't seen it.

Good info about what conditions they prefer (and their excellent ability to jump out).
The African Butterflyfish Pantodon buchholzi | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

The crays can climb (also can climb out), and grab. So maybe would work.

My last cray would climb up a rock and perch himself - claws at the ready in case something went by...usually too slow of a reaction to get it.

The possibility would be if the hanging fins of the matured BF fish hung down enough to be in the Crays reach which on their predatory perch. And as they can creep around in the dark, you might not realize it is hunting BF fish fins /fish.

So probably depends on if the Cray could get perched between tubes cords and plants to reach the top where the BF fish hangs out.

Keep us posted too!

Back
Top Bottom