African cichlid compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking of starting an African cichlid tank. But I need some algae eaters and bottom feeding catfish to go with the tank. What type of algae eater would thrive in a cichlid tank? And are rainbow sharks compatible? If not what are?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There aren't any common african cichlids that come to mind that will fit in a tank that size. 55g is the recommended minimum for nearly all of them as they really do get to be quite large.

However, to answer your question - Africans such as Mbuna are algae eaters. They spend a lot of time picking at the rocks. Adding other algae eaters usually ends poorly though, even large common plecos will usually get their eyes pecked out. There are some Synodontis cats that share their natural habitat and will work in a tank with them. The Petricola or Lucipinnus if I'm not mistaken.

they will adapt to your PH as long as your buying tank raised fish. Now comes the not so good news, that size tank is too small for any of those fish. Mbuna need a 55 gallon or 4ft long tank so do the rainbow sharks. I have a 6'' rainbow shark hes gorgeous but they get big and territorial

There aren't any common african cichlids that come to mind that will fit in a tank that size. 55g is the recommended minimum for nearly all of them as they really do get to be quite large.

However, to answer your question - Africans such as Mbuna are algae eaters. They spend a lot of time picking at the rocks. Adding other algae eaters usually ends poorly though, even large common plecos will usually get their eyes pecked out. There are some Synodontis cats that share their natural habitat and will work in a tank with them. The Petricola or Lucipinnus if I'm not mistaken.

+1

I do have a pleco though in my main tank and hes fine

I had two syno cats in my 55 gallon African setup. I forget which type. As was said though, 30 gallons is too small. Maybe look at shell dwellers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom