African Cichlids or Fancy Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm unsure whether to get African Cichlids or Fancy Goldfish. I've never owned either, but I like fish with personality, intelligence, are fun to watch, and will interact with me.

I understand the needs of each, so there's no need to discuss that here. I'm purely looking at how fun they are to own. Your own personal experiences and opinions would be much appreciated!

Definitely cichlids. IMO gold fish should be in an outside pond, and cichlids stay a LOT smaller than any goldfish. They have all those characteristics plus you can hae more cichlids than goldfish in that tank!

I've had both. Go for the cichlids

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can anyone comment more elaborately on their personalities and what they are like to own?

Can anyone comment more elaborately on their personalities and what they are like to own?

Africans are brutes and quite often face off in small spats with each other. It's not stressful for them, it's just what they do.

They do recognize their owners and will hide when people they don't recognize come to see the tank.

Cichlids! I have a blood red parrot and he is my baby! He comes and takes food from my hand and when I rearrange the tank he bites my arm! I have a pair and the are aggressive when the have eggs but they haven't killed or hurt any of the others! They have the sweetest personality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently have had both and I definitely say cichlids. Personally I find cichlids prettier, more personality and smarter. When I had goldfish (I still have one) I found they got pretty boring and my cichlids each have their own little personalities and I like watching them interact with each other. (This is just my opinion) but I do find goldfish easier to take care of and MUCH cheaper. But in the long run I prefer cichlids. Just be careful which kinds you mix.

Having a 55g for years with African cichlids, I'd say, go for the cichlids. A lot more active, colorful and if you choose right, you shouldn't have issues with aggression.
For that size tank I would stick with mbuna only.

Back
Top Bottom