african ciclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay so i just pulled out my 25 gal tank (i believe its 29 inches long 12 inches wide 16 inches tall these are rouned numbers to hole they all halves tho) and im wondering could i keep african ciclids in it and how many can i keep in the tank ill be fishless cycling and it already has rock decor and sand bottom around 80 degrees fareinheight

also im thinking of using the "assorted" variety you can get in many stores and i heard i can keep around 5 in there and im fine with that

also im thinking of using the "assorted" variety you can get in many stores and i heard i can keep around 5 in there and im fine with that

You'll need a bigger tank for African Cichlids. I wouldnt go lower than a 55 gallon. The ASSORTED variety you are talking about is just a hodge podge tank that most stores have. Most will still grow to 4 inches or more and are generally aggressive unless mixed just right. I just gave away 6 africans because my 20 gallon long was just too small for them even though I tried to convince myself it wasnt.

ccross said:
You'll need a bigger tank for African Cichlids. I wouldnt go lower than a 55 gallon. The ASSORTED variety you are talking about is just a hodge podge tank that most stores have. Most will still grow to 4 inches or more and are generally aggressive unless mixed just right. I just gave away 6 africans because my 20 gallon long was just too small for them even though I tried to convince myself it wasnt.

+1 on the 55 gallon minimum. There are tons and tons of different species of chiclids they are one of the most diverse fish around. Mbuna are algea eating cichlids from africas rift lakes and make up the majority of assorted african cichlids you see at petsmart (although I would look elsewhere to buy fish). Mbuna are territorial and often chase each other around which is why such a large tank is required. Its the footprint of the tank that's import and a 55 is 4ft long. So its really a 4ft footprint minimum. I suggest you do some research as to what type of cichlid you really want (mbuna, haps, peacocks, shellies, african, s american ect). but don't be discouraged from cichlids, I keep malawi mbuna and really enjoy it, mine rarely fight at all.

You could definitely keep shellies in a 25 gallon and they are very unique and cute fish :)

Shellies have more personality than any other cichlid IMO. Especially if you have a mating pair.

there are very few fish stores around here many being pet smart and walmart there is like three lfs locally owned but neither one of them know much

In my experience, the mom and pops shops (non chain store) are always the best ones to try first. Most of them will order fish for you if they dont have it in stock.

i dont lol is there any other cool ideas for a 25 gallon tank i already have a peacefuly community with 10 neons, 11 endlers and 8 corys...i wass looking for something a little more aggressive maybe semi idk i really just looking for ideas

Something a little more agressive in a 25, idk. I've always wanted to try brackish water and planted tho and a 25 is a good starter size. Ill look in one of my books the next day or so and let you know on semi agressive fish for a tank that size.

Back
Top Bottom