African dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ADFs are pretty easy little creatures to take care of, and they are super cute and entertaining. I really like aquatic frogs. IME the best thing you can do for them is have clean water. Aquatic frogs are sensitive to water quality since they soak it up through their skin. Cycli8ng the 12g before you add them is a good idea.
As far as what I know about basic care, they like warmer temps, they love to eat bloodworms but also need a staple pellet of some sort as their main diet, like sinking tadpole pellets or something. They don't have very good eyesight, so most people feed the either with tweezers or by hand if they can, or leave a dish for them where they can easily access the food instead of having to try and search the gravel or substrate for it. That's about all the basic info I can think of right off the top of my head. :)

I def wouldn't suggest handling them or taking them out of the water. Most people just stick their fingers in the water or tweezers in the water right in front of the frogs face. I don't think they would eat if they were outside water since they would probably be in panic mode to get back in the water the whole time.

no,there fully aquatic.and feed them HBH frog and tadpole bites.

i feed mine by putting the food in a shell.that way the food is in the same place every time.

Yeah, if you are using sinking pellets only you can use a dish or something to put the food in and they will go to it and eat it, but if you feed them bloodworms and such in between, which I highly recommend, you should use tweezers or your fingers or place them in the dish where the frogs normally eat so they know where to find them.

I stock 1 frog per gallon of water. They are not inredibly active little guys, stay very small, and they enjoy a good dogpile (or frogpile as it were!), so I don't hesitate to use this stocking guideline. They can easily live for 3-4 years if cared for properly. I do keep them in a species only tank since they are nearly blind and can have a hard time competing for food with fish. I feed HBH frog and tadpole bites every other day, and a thawed frozen food like brine shrimp or blood worms for my adult frogs. Baby frogs get frozen foods more often since they can have a hard time with the bites. Never feed them dried worms or shrimp, or other pellets not specially formulated for them as they are prone to bowel impaction which can cause bloating and death. Keep the tank at no less than 78F.. I think 80 is best. I feed them in the same cave every day so they know where to find their food. They locate by scent, not by sight, and their food can easily get lost in the substrate before they can find it if they don't know where to look. Because they surface for air, make sure all decor is firmly planted in the substrate. They have been known to get themselves pinned by knocking something over and then they drown. Their skin is very sensitive and if damaged is prone to infection. To prevent this, use a smooth substrate, smooth any rough edges on decor with a metal nailfile, and use all live plants if possible. If not, go with silk, and examine the plant carefully for any pokey plastic peices.

i agree that some(most)of them like company,but 1 frog per gallon seems a little much.they dont have very big bioload,so it wouldnt be overstocking,but seeing as there primarily bottom feeders,i wouldnt do that many,they wouldnt act as naturally.i would say you could go up to 5 in a 10 gallon.

Sure that's fine. I think a 10 gal tank with 5 frogs would look pretty empty..considering they sit around most of the time. These are notoriously mellow frogs that really aren't that active. They are bottom feeders, but I don't see what that has to do with it. When they are swimming they are all over the tank. I've been keeping ADF's for a long time, and have had frogs live 5+ years, so I know my little guys are thriving. I believe the opposite of what you said, they are the more the merrier so to speak (within reason) and that's when you see their true natural behaviors.

Of course nothing wrong with 5 frogs in a 10 gal either :)

ADFs are def social animals. I agree there is nothing wrong with 5 in a 10g and that's a low bioload so you won't have as much cleanup, but I agree with siva that with those guys it usually is a more the merrier type o deal. :)

Sure that's fine. I think a 10 gal tank with 5 frogs would look pretty empty..considering they sit around most of the time. These are notoriously mellow frogs that really aren't that active. They are bottom feeders, but I don't see what that has to do with it. When they are swimming they are all over the tank. I've been keeping ADF's for a long time, and have had frogs live 5+ years, so I know my little guys are thriving. I believe the opposite of what you said, they are the more the merrier so to speak (within reason) and that's when you see their true natural behaviors.

Of course nothing wrong with 5 frogs in a 10 gal either :)
what i meant was that theres only so much space at the bottom,and even though they are social and dont move much,i think that one frog per gallon is too much.JMO.

Back
Top Bottom