African dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking about getting a pair African dwarf frogs for our new 20gallon long. Does anyone have any experience? My daughters are fascinated with the frogs each time we go to the pet shop so I thought they would be fun.
We will have live plants
Slate rock caves
Sand substrate

I was considering getting a pair of German blue rams as well.

I had originally planned on dismantling our ten gallon and transferring all of the fish to the twenty. Now I'm considering keeping both and putting a few from out ten in the twenty and keeping both. Our ten is overstocked at the moment with

2 platys
3 guppies
2 glofish (May get a few more for them)
1 Cory (plan on getting a few more)
1 algae eater not sure what kind. Possibly an Otto
1 male betta
1 common pleco ( have plans to rehome when he gets bigger he is just a little guy right now)
And mystery snail we found today

Thinking about getting a pair African dwarf frogs for our new 20gallon long. Does anyone have any experience? My daughters are fascinated with the frogs each time we go to the pet shop so I thought they would be fun.
We will have live plants
Slate rock caves
Sand substrate

I was considering getting a pair of German blue rams as well.

I had originally planned on dismantling our ten gallon and transferring all of the fish to the twenty. Now I'm considering keeping both and putting a few from out ten in the twenty and keeping both. Our ten is overstocked at the moment with

2 platys
3 guppies
2 glofish (May get a few more for them)
1 Cory (plan on getting a few more)
1 algae eater not sure what kind. Possibly an Otto
1 male betta
1 common pleco ( have plans to rehome when he gets bigger he is just a little guy right now)
And mystery snail we found today

They are quiete fun little guys! I would take everyone but the betta and then add the frogs. Try for 4-5. Then buy some frog pellets. Pretty easy to care for! They like floating plants as well.definetly cover that tank!
Also maybe post some pics of the mystery algae eater for us to ID.

I will try to get a pic of the algae eater on here today. He is camera shy!

Our betta is very peaceful and gets along well with the other fish. I may try to introduce him to the 20 gallon and if he has issues I will move him back. Our house is pretty small so I'm trying to figure out what to do. He really likes to hide in the corner in the plants. So hopefully he will be okay. I'm going to build him a small slate rock cave when it gets in and plant around it

I will try to get a pic of the algae eater on here today. He is camera shy!

Our betta is very peaceful and gets along well with the other fish. I may try to introduce him to the 20 gallon and if he has issues I will move him back. Our house is pretty small so I'm trying to figure out what to do. He really likes to hide in the corner in the plants. So hopefully he will be okay. I'm going to build him a small slate rock cave when it gets in and plant around it

Who the betta?

Yes. He is a very peaceful mild tempered little guy.

The only concern is you need to make sure the frogs get food. As they will eat flakes they need more such as sinking frog pellets or bloodworms. I use a tweezers and hand feed mine freeze dried bloodworms every day. The fish steal all their food otherwise! Fun lil guys though. They also like caves to hide in, they will be shy at first, but after a week or two they will be the first to come up to the tank for feeding time!

I will definitely get them something and figure a way to get the food to them so they don't go hungry :(

Are your frogs green?? Do you happen to have a picture? I will probably have to order mine because they don't carry them here at our local pet shop. They carry the clawed frogs but I don't want them eating all of my fish!

There is my little guy! And clawed frogs get pretty big. The dwarfs stay small

Attachments

• image-1888319372.jpg
    image-1888319372.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 73
He is adorable. I think we will definitely get a couple. I read they do better in pairs but hopefully they don't have a ton of babies! Lol

Here is a pic of our algae eater. The little stinker moved his head right when I took the photo. Any ideas? I was thinking Otto but I'm really not sire

Attachments

• image-3834641506.jpg
    image-3834641506.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 85
That is definitely not an Otto. Maybe just a common algae eater.
Google "gyrinocheilus aymonieri" does he look like that?

image-671056504.jpg
This is what an Otto looks like, they only get to about 1 inch long and have a dark stripe down their side.

I ordered some frogs yesterday! We are anxiously awaiting their arrival. So far we have put our two platys and our pleco in our new 20g long. Trying to decide what else to get. Anyone have any suggestions? I would love a pair of GBRs. I need to visit our local pet store and see if they could order some. Might be cheaper than paying shipping

I ordered some frogs yesterday! We are anxiously awaiting their arrival. So far we have put our two platys and our pleco in our new 20g long. Trying to decide what else to get. Anyone have any suggestions? I would love a pair of GBRs. I need to visit our local pet store and see if they could order some. Might be cheaper than paying shipping

German blue rams are awesome!! If you want something to help maintain algae a suggest a pair of otos or mystery snails! The snails are really cool to watch and shells come in a variety of colors! Also I love chocolate mollies!

I just wanted to update everyone. I have been using a turkey baster to feed my ADFs, but it is so difficult trying to get the worms to the bottom without blowing air in the frogs' face and blowing the sand around a bit. So I found a pair of hemostats and tried that. It worked great! My frogs and my GBRs were a all eating off of them. Much easier than the turkey baster.

Back
Top Bottom