African dwarf frog: go or no go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a 40 gallon, heavily planted with small community fish. I've got danios, neons, one juvenile platy, Bolivian ram, and golden barbs. Will these get along with a couple of african dwarf frogs? I'd just love to see a few snug at the bottom, protected by the forest of amazon swords I have going on around the tank.

um when they are small they probably can but once they get bigger then the fish they will start going after them.

is it a 40 breeder? the height of an adf tank shouldn't be over 12 inches tall. if it is, it can stress them out and reduce their life span. for adfs i recommend a 10, 20 long or 33 long.

So even really mellow fish would pick on them?

ADF's should be kept in a tank by themselves or with very slow fish like Bettas. Your fish are too fast and your ADF will get no food. So I wouldn't get any. I put some in my community tank a while back and they died.

is it a 40 breeder? the height of an adf tank shouldn't be over 12 inches tall. if it is, it can stress them out and reduce their life span. for adfs i recommend a 10, 20 long or 33 long.

+1. I've heard the same thing and SOMETIMES it doesn't end well.

Hmm I see what you guys are saying about the food. I've often had even slower fish have trouble getting the food from faster danios. On the subject, though, are there any interesting non-fish animals that make good community critters? I've had snails before, but they didnt work too well. Open to any suggestions.

I saw a very insightful YouTube video yesterday on the subject of ADF's in large community tanks, this woman had a 40 gallon standard like mine and she said to solve the food problem, she gently takes her net and puts it in the water. The frog has learned that the net means well and it ALSO means food, so he immediately voluntarily swims into the net so he can be fed.

Training a frog can take a long time. They're not black ghost knife fish that learn to eat out of your hand and get inside your hand to eat and stuff within a few weeks like mine. But hey that would be cool to train a frog. you should be proud of yourself if you could do that.

Awesome. I have seen some hand feeding on YouTube too. I'll look into it. Most of my fish are mellow, the only pointers being a Bolivian ram, danios and golden barbs. They have not shown signs of aggression to any other fish, but, they ARE from families of more aggressive fish.

I have plenty of live plants and forests for coverage which I heard the ADF's love. I want a warm and nice home for these frogs and I think as long as I can train it, it will appreciate the given space.

Back
Top Bottom