Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

African Dwarf Frog w/my 55

Well for those of you who know something about the African Dwarf Frog, i have yet another question for ya.

I am sending my whole entire tank over to a 55gal from a 20gal. I see that the frog goes to the top every now and then for a breath of air.

My 20gal stands 16" tall. He runs to the top in this tank , but seems to have to swim for a while to get there. When i send him over to the 55 gal which stands 21" tall , will he have trouble getting to the top for air?

Should i add something to the tank for him? If so what?

Never had an African Dwarf frog before , this is all new to me.

Thanks

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My younger brother has one of these in his 10g tank. I've never kept these myself yet, but I know your tank is too big for the frog, because he will have trouble getting to the top for air, and it would be hard for it to find food in the tank. The best thing to do is to keep these frogs in smaller tanks, like a 5g or 10g, it would make things much easier for them.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

As for the food, he eats with my two cories. I know he eats well , but im just worried about having to swim too far for air.. Im thinking about getting him an a fish bowl. From everything i have read on the internet , they do well in a fish bowl
Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

they do best in shallow tanks. like you said they need air and deeper the tank the farther they have to go for it. why not just keep those in the 20 gallon and move the rest of the fish to the 55?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Gosh my GF and I wanted to get an African Dwarf Frog for our tank until we discovered that Salmonella Typhimurium outbreaks in humans were linked to those little guys. Too bad because they're really cool looking and make nice additions to community tanks. I'm sure not all of those critters are outbreak monkeys in their own right, but guess we just don't want to risk it (at least until there are reports they've been cleared). Anyway, here's the source: LINK

Just take the necessary precautions if you're concerned.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgeezer1986 View Post
As for the food, he eats with my two cories. I know he eats well , but im just worried about having to swim too far for air.. Im thinking about getting him an a fish bowl. From everything i have read on the internet , they do well in a fish bowl
We have four African frogs - two are in a 10 gal. tank and two are in a 40 gal. tank, but used to be in the 10 gal. tank. They do just fine! At first they had to learn how much water was above them, and how they had to get to the surface, but now they are just as happy as they were in the smaller tank. They are pretty mellow creatures and don't move around as much as the other fish, and they are shy and like to hide a lot. As long as you have some cover in the tank somewhere, that they can use for a hiding place, you ought to be fine. I enjoy having the frogs in my tanks, and they have been very hearty.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Gosh my GF and I wanted to get an African Dwarf Frog for our tank until we discovered that Salmonella Typhimurium outbreaks in humans were linked to those little guys. Too bad because they're really cool looking and make nice additions to community tanks. I'm sure not all of those critters are outbreak monkeys in their own right, but guess we just don't want to risk it (at least until there are reports they've been cleared). Anyway, here's the source: LINK

Just take the necessary precautions if you're concerned.
Don't you have to be in contact with the animal to get Salmonella? ADFs are fully aquatic so there's not really a need to handle them. Btw, you can get salmonella from all reptiles and amphibians, that's why you have to wash your hands really good after handling them.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As for the Salmonella risk, a lot of things we encounter in our everyday lives are potential carriers for pathogens. As long as you are not planning on eating a dwarf frog raw, you shouldn't be at any real risk of innoculating yourself with a member of the genus Samonella. People who become infected with Salmonella spp. generally have consumed quantities of laced foods, and not simply come into contact with it, granted there are strains which are more virulent than others.

Thing is, if you are treating your aquarium like you should be anyway, reaching in only when you have to, and washing if you've come into contact with aquarium fish, plants, water, etc., then you should have nothing to worry about if you practice due diligence.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have five frogs, it's kind of a myth that you can't have them in water deeper than a foot or so. Mine is 18" deep and they are fine, including the babies.

A fish bowl would be far too small for a frog. They need room to swim and play and besides, you wouldn't be able to cycle a fish bowl, it's too small. He'll be fine in your larger tank.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAZ View Post
you wouldn't be able to cycle a fish bowl, it's too small.
you can cycle a test tube if you want... size is no consideration. but a fishbowl would be awefully small for an active little critter

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african, african dwarf frog, dwarf, dwarf frog, frog

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com