African Ghost Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, i was looking at fish online and then i come across this, something called an "African Ghost Knife" (or AGK for short).I was wondering about it... Is it an African Brown Knife? How long does it get? Minimum tank size? care?....
I need info on it, by, probably thursday... So, if you could take the time to reply, that would be great.Thanks

Lung Fish-

Attachments

• AGKF1.jpg
    AGKF1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Very cool fish :) I don't know how close relation it is to the black ghost knifefish but it is likely nocturnal. Also, like quite a few fish, they are sold small. This guy will get around a foot long. So no less than a 55g tank is recommended. They can be a little aggressive with smaller fish but like every other fish they have a personality. Some are mean, some are docile and nice. Water temp around 72-80 degrees. Give it some hiding spots as they are nocturnal.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Oh and being carnivorous they like live foods, but will accept flakes sometimes.

Caleb

Thanks so much, once i get him, he will be chowing down on gourmet frozen bloodworms.I'll be ordering on monday.

I have read that many are wild caught so if he runs to hide and you don't see him for a while don't be surprised. Most fatalities for these fish happen within the first 2 months because of this. If possible, make sure he is eating the food you give him. After they get used to the tank they are pretty hardy fish though! Good luck I want to have one some day I heard a rumor after a long time you can sometimes hand feed them don't know how true it is though.

Caleb

Is he going to have his own tank or are you shoving him in with your other overstocked tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is he going to have his own tank or are you shoving him in with your other overstocked tank?

He will be in my 45 gallon TEMPORARILY, and will be moved to a 55 gallon with a school of loaches and a pleco.

Your 45 gallon is already way too stocked to add anything temporarily. Please correct your current tank issues before buying anymore fish.

Your 45 gallon is already way too stocked to add anything temporarily. Please correct your current tank issues before buying anymore fish.

Are you saying a perfect tank, with no disease and crystal clear water is overstocked???

And fish changing color due to stress, and you don't know your water parameters. Yes, I am. Quit being so defensive and just take the advice everyone gives you or quit asking for it.

And fish changing color due to stress, and you don't know your water parameters. Yes, I am. Quit being so defensive and just take the advice everyone gives you or quit asking for it.

I second Nigel. Don't create more problems. Fix the ones you have and when everything is running smoothly take the next step.

Caleb

Hi there. This thread has been cleaned up some. Please keep in mind that this is a forum to seek help and assistance in the hobby. Lung Fish, I would suggest listening to those who are offering their advice regarding your stocking. You are moving fast and down a rough path.
To others, advice needs to remain friendly. This is just as much part of the forum rules as what is trying to be claimed. You'll hear from me further if this is a continued issue.

Here he is! (a few minutes before being released in to the 55).

Attachments

• P1180742.jpg
    P1180742.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom