after so much research, i still failed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
just brought home a fishy.. yay.. except its not what i thought it was. I wanted a dwarf gourami . i research and research making sure that i really wanted it.. i visited 2 different stores to find them and i had been to a store 40mins away twice because 1 of their sun dwarfs was just lovely. So i decided to go there today and get him.. but he wasnt there :( .. so i looked in the tank and they only had flames or opaline gouramis left.. silly me thinking that the tank was only dwarf gouramis i picked out a opaline because it was the most responsive and the flames just hid. Aparently they get almost 3 times the size of a dwarf gourami.. bummer.

oh well an excuse to buy a bigger tank :p

happy new year to you too!.. i love the little gourami already :D hes so sweet to the other fish, very curious and brave :)

a good idea is to write down the names and sizes that will work for you when you go. its easy to fall into the not sure trap and end up with something that gets too big. though if you can get a bigger tank it might be worth it. lol

a good idea is to write down the names and sizes that will work for you when you go. its easy to fall into the not sure trap and end up with something that gets too big. though if you can get a bigger tank it might be worth it. lol

yeah sounds like a good plan.. but today i knew exactly what i wanted but i just wasnt too sure which colour to get. I just assumed the opaline was a variant of the dwarf since it was in with honey, flame and powder blue. My heart sank when i looked him up on the net when i got home. i had a feeling like i made a mistake by picking a colour id never read up on. But hopefully he stays little till i can get a bigger tank.. which may be in a month or so :-?

Yeah, I like mine too! They make me laugh!

tehe they are a funny fish!.. but my boyfriends guppy keeps pestering him and is absolutely obsessed with him. Follows him everywhere and dances for him.. he looks like hes being very annoying to the gourami! haha.. im considering seperating, but that means living with bubbles!.. i dont think bubbles will accept that haha

might have to get the divider out again and see what other escape ideas bubbles has come up with!

He probably has a little sawcutter in there now, that he built, to cut through the divider. It wouldn't suprise me. He is still THE funniest betta I have ever heard of!

He probably has a little sawcutter in there now, that he built, to cut through the divider. It wouldn't suprise me. He is still THE funniest betta I have ever heard of!

hahaha probably!.. he finely crafted it out of the shrimps sheddings and stem plants!

this is the new boy.. too bad the camera is so crappy! he defiantly looks different in real life.. hes a nice blue,with dark blue stripes and pearly sparkly spots.
img_1062442_0_1ed89c709b53b83794e1b0a04e6ca77f.jpg

and this is a pic of the change to the tank. Since i got rid of the guppies it was time for a overhaul
img_1062442_1_420a91517819ec39c1d579dd06f6eba7.jpg

thanks! yeah all the plants are real.. i'm really hesitant with putting fake things in my tanks.. i was even unsure whether to put that ceramic rock formation instead of driftwood. hmmm the plants names.. well the 1 that i shoved in the rock in the archway is java fern.. my first ever plant.. it survived along with bubbles in a vase when i didnt know any better. with the other 2.. i'm not too sure. i'll let you know if i find the names on trusty google :p

yeah its really nice.. i like the "hard" type of leaves like anubias.
i did find the name tho!.. its called Aluminum plant (Pilea cadierei) it was really hard to find because it looks like hardly anyone puts it in their tanks hmm.. and the 1 on the left is hygrophillia.

just looked up the aluminum plant.. apparently it does poorly fully under water. hmm good old pet chain store. Thats the only plant i've gotten from a chain store aswell.

yeah that aluminum plant is a household plant... it'll do ok with just the roots under water, but if fully submersed, it will rot and foul up your water... i say stick it in a pot and set it beside the tank.. then you can still enjoy it... did you get it out of one of the tubes with the gel in it? about the only plants you can get from those that will actually live under water are amazon sword and wisteria..

yeah that aluminum plant is a household plant... it'll do ok with just the roots under water, but if fully submersed, it will rot and foul up your water... i say stick it in a pot and set it beside the tank.. then you can still enjoy it... did you get it out of one of the tubes with the gel in it? about the only plants you can get from those that will actually live under water are amazon sword and wisteria..

thanks for the advice!.. how long until it would start to rot? do you think it would survive if some of the leaves stuck out of the water a tiny bit?..
It didnt come in gel just in a plant tank at the store..i wander how the pet store manages to keep them underwater tho.
btw what are the tubes of gel?

I got some of the gel tube plants (actually for terrariums) and it's growing just fine under water lol. I think it's some kind of bamboo.

bamboo will grow as long as the leaves are out of water... most of the plants you get that are non aquatic will slowly die over a few weeks to a month or so... i made that mistake myself... annnie, the reason they keep them alive in the tanks at the store is because they arent in there very long... they will live a few weeks, but eventually they will rot because they are not truly aquatic... if you let the leaves out all the way they'll grow and live, but just having the tips out probably wont do much for you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom