Against all odds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thought I would share a little story with all you fish lovers out there. This made me smile today, the most unexpected of things possible! Sorry it is a long read, if you have time I hope you enjoy!

Ok, the story begins about a year ago, I contacted somebody over the web on an aquarist classifieds site that was selling a small fluval edge aquarium. When I went to pick it up inside they had five melon barbs, the one spot version that look the same as rosy barbs.

The problem was they had survived in there with no heater as the seller wasn't really sharp with fish care! Anyway, I got them home and moved them into my bigger 30G heated tank that I was using to grow out five or six juvenile angels, and set up the fluval edge as a nano planted shrimp tank (awaiting a mini heater).

Around three month ago my angels paired off and started spawning so I now had nowhere for the barbs and, as there was only three remaining - one died, I gave them away to a friend who had rosy barbs in his tank, along with the 'none paired' angels. I thought it was the kindest thing to do at the time.

I watched over the next month or so my angels spawn twice and eat the eggs. I was gutted but decided to move the eggs next time around into the small fluval tank. Unfortunately one of my angel pair got adventurous and stuck his little body between the rocks and aquarium glass and died. I decided to give the second angel back to the LFS. And give up the hope of having babies!

After this I turned off the 30G and decided to call it a day in that tank. No heater, filter, lights or food. And I listed it for sale/trade. A month it has sat there, getting stagnant!

This morning somebody enquired about trading it for a different tank as they needed to downsize. I was excited as I have MTS and the one he was swapping was a better 45G with external filter, etc. I was emptying and cleaning out the tank for swap today when I see something move in the tank. I thought it was a snail at first, as they would survive the apocalypse! To my surprise it wasn't. What could it be!? Around three month after after the last barb was in there I believe it is a baby melon barb. I'm sure it isn't an angel. Regardless, it has survived from probably an egg, with no food, predators a hundred times it size or more! No light, heat or friends, for at least a month, maybe three! Here is the miracle!

image-3490269857.jpg

That is amazing! It is inspiring how life can be so fragile at times and so hardy also. Thanks for sharing.

I know, I'm still smiling! That pic makes it looks huge, here is one not zoomed in, I would say he is roughly just under half an inch! He should turn red as he gets older like his parents!

image-151469231.jpg

His saving grace could possibly have been the fact I put some anacharis clippings in there.. Still that was around three month ago and they don't really look lush and green now after no light!

Thought I would share a little story with all you fish lovers out there. This made me smile today, the most unexpected of things possible! Sorry it is a long read, if you have time I hope you enjoy!

Ok, the story begins about a year ago, I contacted somebody over the web on an aquarist classifieds site that was selling a small fluval edge aquarium. When I went to pick it up inside they had five melon barbs, the one spot version that look the same as rosy barbs.

The problem was they had survived in there with no heater as the seller wasn't really sharp with fish care! Anyway, I got them home and moved them into my bigger 30G heated tank that I was using to grow out five or six juvenile angels, and set up the fluval edge as a nano planted shrimp tank (awaiting a mini heater).

Around three month ago my angels paired off and started spawning so I now had nowhere for the barbs and, as there was only three remaining - one died, I gave them away to a friend who had rosy barbs in his tank, along with the 'none paired' angels. I thought it was the kindest thing to do at the time.

I watched over the next month or so my angels spawn twice and eat the eggs. I was gutted but decided to move the eggs next time around into the small fluval tank. Unfortunately one of my angel pair got adventurous and stuck his little body between the rocks and aquarium glass and died. I decided to give the second angel back to the LFS. And give up the hope of having babies!

After this I turned off the 30G and decided to call it a day in that tank. No heater, filter, lights or food. And I listed it for sale/trade. A month it has sat there, getting stagnant!

This morning somebody enquired about trading it for a different tank as they needed to downsize. I was excited as I have MTS and the one he was swapping was a better 45G with external filter, etc. I was emptying and cleaning out the tank for swap today when I see something move in the tank. I thought it was a snail at first, as they would survive the apocalypse! To my surprise it wasn't. What could it be!? Around three month after after the last barb was in there I believe it is a baby melon barb. I'm sure it isn't an angel. Regardless, it has survived from probably an egg, with no food, predators a hundred times it size or more! No light, heat or friends, for at least a month, maybe three! Here is the miracle!

View attachment 84262
Amazing. Go Rosy Barb!!

Ok, quick update to this thread an now I am completely dumbfounded. I really can't believe what I see. As mentioned the last fish in this tank were angels over a month ago and I just found this guy... Now he cannot no way be over a month old!?

image-2192196104.jpg

I have now moved in a cycled HOB filter, heater and turned the other filter back on! Could the second fry be upwards of a month old and just stayed small!?

I have now moved in a cycled HOB filter, heater and turned the other filter back on! Could the second fry be upwards of a month old and just stayed small!?
Possibly. I say this because he lived in pretty bad conditions, and that nay have stunted his growth. But there is no way to tell, so, just keep an eye on him!

Well I have urgently made myself a new brine shrimp hatchery and later today/tomorrow I should be able to provide all the nourishment they have missed out on!

Just to confirm, you have an immaculately conceived fry? Well they did say he'd be back...:)

Cynic said:
Just to confirm, you have an immaculately conceived fry? Well they did say he'd be back...:)

Haha. In fry form. Well it would appear so, unless one of the angel eggs avoided detection, predation and malnourishment for a month!? Or a barb egg the same but for a couple month!?

Back
Top Bottom