Aggresive molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenda26910

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a black female Molly that has been nipping at other fish in my tank. I have tried to put males in the tank twice and she stressed them out so bad they all died within a day or two. Any suggestions why she is being such a bully?

Hi Brenda,

What size is the tank? In small confines with no break in sight, this can happen, although it's usually the other way around. Are you sure the fish are dying because they are being picked on?

David

It is a 20g. I have had her a few months now. The first time I put a male in the tank she chased him and picked on him all day. By the next day he was belly up. Last week I put about 5 new assorted fish in along with another male and female Molly and she did the same thing, the male died later that day and all the other fish are doing fine.

Try putting aquarium salt if you haven't all ready. Just about a pinch or two should do it. It is used to relieve stress from the fish and that may be the problem. By the way what is the stock in your tank???

Back
Top Bottom