aggresive zebra fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob112233

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally got my 120 gal tank up and running and wanted to start to cycle it. so i went to my lfs and he told me zebra fish are good for cycling a tank so i bought 5. im not worried about them its a large tank and i seeded my filter and pump in my smaller 30 gal tank for several weeks. I also got some of the powder cycle starter stuff from my lfs. so i was pretty sure they would be fine but i got em because i didnt want to risk any of my pet fish from my smaller tank. so i get them in my tank and they are racing around back and forth very hyper fish. they seem to be racing their reflections in the glass. anyways i leave em in for two days everything seems fine so i put two black mollys from my old tank into the new tank. they seem to be having fun checking every thing out nice and relaxed. but i notices the 4 zebras chasing the fifth zebra all over the tank. now i noticed this zebra before it didnt always run like the others it was way more relaxed. now the others were being really aggressive so i took the zebra out and put it in a quaretine floater that floats in the tank. i also noticed that the fish was smaller but its fins were much larger than the other fish and i was wondering if its a female zebra. now it didnt like being put in the floater and the other zebra would come up and bang the side of it. after about an hour or two the fish somehow jumped out of the floater back into the tank. i want them all to have a happy home in my new tank but im worried the other zebra will hurt or kill fish. is this normal play for them or should i take the other zebra out and put it in a smaller tank by its self.

I think male zebras have black stripes on a more olive background while the females are more black and white. My zebras chase each other all the time, i wouldn't worry much about it unless the one starts looking overstressed.

yaeh i agree with jrp i mean alot of people mistake this as fighting and it might just be them playing around but mine bump all the time and chase others it looks like fighting but its not, just make shure hes not losing colours etc etc.

thats what zebras do, i would get a few more of them....maybe the one they are chasing is a female

Back
Top Bottom