Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aggression or Breeding?

I witnessed one of my two shubunkins nudging the other last night. As soon as I saw this, I thought,"Oh no! Tell me they're not trying to breed!" I watched them for a few minutes until they stopped. It didn't seem very forceful or anything so it made me a little confused. Could it just be a territory thing? Or something else?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

mine do this so i went and researched goldfish breeding and apparently they can get quite rough with the male literally pinning the female to the floor/rocks/sides etc. personally i think the nudging thing is just normal behaviour.

found this:
Goldfish and Koi have very "active" sex lives. To put it in laymen’s terms, the male chases the female in a rather brutal show, literally to beat the eggs out of her. Then he fertilizes the eggs. Many times you will notice several males "courting" one female. This can be stressful to the female and can be a cause of injury. Many females, frantic to get away from their suiters, jump during this time and injure themselves against rocks or simply jump out of the water and onto the ground.
Mating activity usually happens whenever the water heats up rapidly and is more apt to happen in the morning and evening hours. If you wake up to find your pond full of white foam chances are your fish have been "up to no good". The white foam is a by-product of their escapades.

Tags
aggression, breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com