Aggressive Angel fish!!! Will she ever change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppo8820

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
I have a small (quarter sized) black angel fish who is my favorite fish, but also the bane of my fish keeping hobby. I got her as a gift from my dad and right now she is in a 10 gallon. I have a larger column tank cycling that will be her home, and after that I will eventually get a 40-55. The thing is, she hates every other fish I put with her except two small endler guppy males.

My betta tank had a nitrite spike (still does and I am not sure why. I cleaned it, changed the water a ton this week, it still shoots up after 12-24 hours). I put the betta in the 10 hoping I could just get rid of the 5 gallon, but no, she went after him with gumption and I had to put him back in the 5.

Then yesterday I was at my favorite lfs and picked up 2 tiny silver angels thinking she would like the company. Wrong again, she kept them in a corner and wouldnt let them come out. I returned them today as I dont allow living things to suffer if I can help it.

So my question is, why is she so aggressive to everything except the little guppies? In the big column tank I wanted to keep 2-3 angels and some corys, but now I am worried she will never let another fish live with her besides these guppies. (I will separate when she grows as she will eat them).

Can I just have one angel? She is very healthy with a huge appetite. Everyone tells me to get rid of her, but I like her and have no plans on moving her out of my house, lol. Anyone care to weigh in?

Also, once I do move her to the bigger tank (I think the cycle is working on stage 2 as I have ammonia processing in 24 hours and sky high nitrites), can I put the betta in the 10? I really want to get rid of my 5 gallon tank as its small and too much work. Thanks all.

Hey PPO I would say adding the additional fish at the same time you move the aggressive angel to the larger tank would be the best bet. This way the aggressive one is as new to the tank as the additions. Some times though a fish is just nasty and there is nothing you can do.

Hey all,

I have a small (quarter sized) black angel fish who is my favorite fish, but also the bane of my fish keeping hobby. I got her as a gift from my dad and right now she is in a 10 gallon. I have a larger column tank cycling that will be her home, and after that I will eventually get a 40-55. The thing is, she hates every other fish I put with her except two small endler guppy males.

My betta tank had a nitrite spike (still does and I am not sure why. I cleaned it, changed the water a ton this week, it still shoots up after 12-24 hours). I put the betta in the 10 hoping I could just get rid of the 5 gallon, but no, she went after him with gumption and I had to put him back in the 5.

Then yesterday I was at my favorite lfs and picked up 2 tiny silver angels thinking she would like the company. Wrong again, she kept them in a corner and wouldnt let them come out. I returned them today as I dont allow living things to suffer if I can help it.

So my question is, why is she so aggressive to everything except the little guppies? In the big column tank I wanted to keep 2-3 angels and some corys, but now I am worried she will never let another fish live with her besides these guppies. (I will separate when she grows as she will eat them).

Can I just have one angel? She is very healthy with a huge appetite. Everyone tells me to get rid of her, but I like her and have no plans on moving her out of my house, lol. Anyone care to weigh in?

Also, once I do move her to the bigger tank (I think the cycle is working on stage 2 as I have ammonia processing in 24 hours and sky high nitrites), can I put the betta in the 10? I really want to get rid of my 5 gallon tank as its small and too much work. Thanks all.

It sounds as thou you may be best off with just one angel. Most often they are recommended to be purchased in multiples of 3 simply because of this exact issue. She is probably so aggressive because she views the tank as hers. The only possible way to get around this would be to introduce her last to the tank.

I don't understand why you're cycling the other tank. What size is it ? I don't see any reason why the Betta can't go in the 10g, but personally I'd leave it in the 5 and save the 10g for a QT myself. Also, don't forget to take into consideration the amount of stress the fish are taking on with all these moves. It will definitely impact their health.

As for the nitrate spikes, have you checked your tap water ? It may be a source for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
The angel; you've got it in a 10 gallon, real small amount of territory. With a bigger tank & more territory you may be able to add more angels. As mentioned, with a larger tank pull the angel with an attitude, add the new angels, let them settle in for a bit, then add the aggressive angel back in. Angels are cichlids, anyone dealing with cichlids should have a divider handy at the least, if not a spare tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
She hasn't moved since I bought her a while back. The new tank is cycling because it's new and I just set it up. I'm using seeded media but it's still not producing test results that would make me comfortable putting anything into it yet. No fish have moved except the betta but he's back in his tank. He is hardy and didn't skip a beat.

I'm guessing my angel will just be a solo angel which is fine.

The only thing I can think to recommend, is once your larger tank is cycled, get two angels about the same size as your little terror. Place the two new Angels in first, wait 12 to 24 hours and add your current angel.

It may not work, and you may have to take the other Angels back, but that is what I would try.

She is so cute and small but the most territorial fish I have at the same time. Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you posted once this looooong cycle ever completed.

Back
Top Bottom