Aggressive Blue Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kindynos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The title explains my problem pretty well but here is some back story to it; I have a 50 gallon tank. In this tank I had a bunch of Sliverdollars, a eartheater Cichlid, three Angelfish, and two Blue Gouramis. Since then my Eartheater had died and I have moved out my Angelfish. Now one of my Gouamis being aggressive and chasing my other Gourami around until the point she was very stressed out and wouldn't leave the bottom of the tank. Noticing this, I decided to temporarily move her with my Angelfish. Since then my Gourami has been relived of the stress and I assumed that my one Gourami was chasing her because she was smaller than him, but after this he started to chase my Sliverdollars around. I'm starting to fear he will stress out my Sliverdollars until they die. Plus, I will have to move my one Gourami out of the Angelfish tank and put her with the other Gourami because when the Angelfish get older they will become more territorial against the smaller Gourami. I'm pretty sure my one Gourami that is chasing my other fish around is a male, while my other one seems to be female. Is there any way to stop my Gourami from being so aggressive?

Not much you can do sadly.

I made a timeout vhamber for afgressive fish. Basically a pitcher with dozens of holes drilled all over including the top. I just hang it in the tank. You could try that for a few days.

If that doesnt work try it again and completely rearrange your tank.

If that doesnt work, its a lost cause. He very likely wont be able to be put with the second gourami regardless of what you do with him.

Not much you can do sadly.

I made a timeout vhamber for afgressive fish. Basically a pitcher with dozens of holes drilled all over including the top. I just hang it in the tank. You could try that for a few days.

If that doesnt work try it again and completely rearrange your tank.

If that doesnt work, its a lost cause. He very likely wont be able to be put with the second gourami regardless of what you do with him.

+1 more than one gourami normally don't do well together anyway. Think of them like an African cichlid tank. It's overstocked so many of them cannot establish territory. The same works for the LFS. They are all in the little tank and behave because there's no room for territory. When you bring them home into a 50g tank now they have room to establish that territory and it results in fighting.

Caleb

Well, I just wanted to tell everyone it worked out! :D My aggressive blue gourami had calmed down, that he and the other one are getting together! Now, the aggressive one still chases the other one once every while, but the other one doesn't seem to be getting stressed out. Now, I know I posted this a while ago, but I just wanted to inform everybody that it has worked out! :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom