Aggressive blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniela

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a aqua one 620 tank. It is a 90L tank. I have recently added 2 blue rams 1 male 1 female 2 gold rams 1 male 1 female and a gold balloon ram. My male blue ram is constantly chasing all the other rams quite aggressively. All accept the female blue ram. I don't know what to do or if I should remove him. The tank is planted and has lots of hiding spots for the fish but it seems he is territorial about the whole tank. I purchased these fish as everything I have read says that they are not aggressive. Does anyone have any advice? ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is normal behavior. Theres not much you can do to fix it other than rehome one of the pairs of rams.

Would you recommend that I do so or will they be ok together?

He doesn't physically harm them but I guess it would be stressful on the other fish. Will he possibly calm down eventually? I have only had them for a week.

He doesn't physically harm them but I guess it would be stressful on the other fish. Will he possibly calm down eventually? I have only had them for a week.

It's stressful for every fish involved and that is a harm because stress can easily lead to disease.

As to him calming down, I would confidently bet money that he won't; especially if he tries to breed with the female. That tank just isn't large enough and indeed even in larger tanks it's usually only 1 pair allowed. One member here had a 200gish tank that she tried to put 4 pairs of rams in. It ended up down to just one pair in the end because of aggression.

It's a natural behavior for them, it's his territory and he wants the other rams out of it.

I have a 65g we have 2 males GBR, 6 female GBR and 2 balloon female.

Prior adding all the females, we had 4 pairs (2 GBR pairs, 1 electric blue pair, 1 balloon pair) and the were very territorial that the rest wouldn't eat and died off within a week in the tank except 2 GBR males.

Get a bigger tank to spread aggression.. The smaller your tank the more aggressive the fish will be because of lack of space for territory. Add more hiding places

Back
Top Bottom