Aggressive Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been noticing lately that my Dwarf Gourami has started to become slightly Aggressive toward my other fish, which is strange because everybody says how peaceful they are. My DG has been chasing my German Blue Rams, my lone platy, and will sometimes even chase a lone Harlequin Rasbora. Hes pretty slow compared to the other fish, who quickly outswim him and he usually stops chasing if they swim inside my rather large Amazon Sword or into the Driftwood.

Is there any particular reason why he would be doing this? I've had him almost Two months already. He particularly does this after Feeding time, but i've seen him sporadically do this throughout the day. He leaves my Shrimp and BN pleco alone, and dosn't bother the Rasboras when they are in a school. The Strange thing is, when i come home at night and look at my fish tank, I see the 2 Rams and the Gourami sleeping on the substrate side by side.

Dwarf gouramis are not all that peaceful. As far as gouramis go, they are one of the more peaceful species, but they can still can come with a serious attitude.
Having an dg in a community is a bit hit-or-miss IMO. Often it does owrk out well for people, but I also know plenty of stories where a dg turned aggressive. You will just have to continue to moniter the situation and see if you confortable with him in your community or not. Its likely that the fish you bought was not sexually mature yet, so these issues were not immediately evident. Perhaps him and the other fish can work it out though. :)
Funny about them sleeping together. Lol.

Hi it could be you got a male and its establishing its territory now its settled in? Perhaps you could add more cover?

Good point stingrays. Aggression can be curbed in some cases by adding more plants/cover to break up the lines of sight. Another option is to turn off all the lights, wait a bit, rearrange everything in the tank. That disrupts territorial boundaries and and re-instate peace. :)

Thats weird I have never seen a dwarf go after other fish. Maybe get some more decor for hiding.

My tank is heavily planted and has plenty of hiding places, although my Rams established Territory around a large Driftwood piece (2 Driftwoods that i've arranged that form a large cave). I've just added two new plants, but will be adding more when I get some better lighting.

I've observed them for most of the day today, and the Aggression dies off around the late afternoon before I turn off the lights of the tank. I'm Comfortable for now, since its just chasing, and the Gourami is pretty slow. Only thing that might happen is my larger Blue Ram turning around and teaching the DG a lesson.

I have a DG also, and he is somewhat aggressive and will chase a lot. Especially near HIS bridge. But I've never actually seen him bite or injure anyone.

My tank is heavily planted and has plenty of hiding places, although my Rams established Territory around a large Driftwood piece (2 Driftwoods that i've arranged that form a large cave). I've just added two new plants, but will be adding more when I get some better lighting.

I've observed them for most of the day today, and the Aggression dies off around the late afternoon before I turn off the lights of the tank. I'm Comfortable for now, since its just chasing, and the Gourami is pretty slow. Only thing that might happen is my larger Blue Ram turning around and teaching the DG a lesson.
That sounds like a good plan. Good thing you are keeping an eye on it. :)
You could still try the rearringing trick if you want to, but I know that planted tanks are not always very easy to rearrange. Hopefully they sort it out themselves.

Only thing i could move around my tank is the Driftwood, but even that would be rather difficult because theres not much space on the other side of my tank. I've been home all day, So I was observing the Aggression. it seems the Gourami has been trying to kick the Rams out of the large Driftwood piece. In the mornings after feeding, he was relentlessly chasing the Rams around, til the Rams got to the other side of the tank or broke line of sight.

However around late afternoon, the Rams and Gourami are acting like the best of buddies and swimming around together. I'm considering buying another piece of small Driftwood and placing it on the other side of the Tank, to see if both Species can claim their own territories in the Driftwood.

I think so too. Gouramis really do need thier own space. Mine has his little bridge that he stays under, it's hilarious to see him go under there and discover the ghost shrimp, and then kick them out!!!

Back
Top Bottom