Aggressive Female Balloon Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charzard09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So today i got two balloon mollies. one is male, the other is female. (i didn't realize it until just now.)

but basically the female is acting really REALLY aggressive towards all my other fish, and the male molly. she has something orange coming out of her butt (lol), it looked like fish crap, but it's orange....

and she's been banging (or rubbing) her head against the castle i have in the tank, and on the side of the glass like she has an itch or something....

she seems to go after the other molly more than the others, but then the other fish go near her, she chases them....

((I could be wrong that she's the male and the others the female... but their fin things are completely different)

please help me ><

The itching is called flashing. It may mean the fish has ich or some sort of parasite.
Orange poop might just be because of what the fish was being fed.
Do you have a test kit to be able to test the water parameters like ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite? How long has the tank been set up? Did you cycle it?

I agree on the colour of the poop being from the food he had been fed. My fish poop changes colour depending on the day and their diet. (I have mollys also)

The male may just be aggressive and adjusting to a new environment. Did you acclimatise them first? Perhaps the changes in conditions has him a little stressed.

Also, I would recommend having more than one female for your male. The males are quite insatiable sexually and will pester and pester your female stressing her out. She will also be constantly pregnant. If you don't want pregnancies or to add any other fish I'd suggest taking the male back to the shop and switching it for another female.

Answering absolutangel's questions about your water quality will help to weed out possible causes for the behaviour also.

Back
Top Bottom