Aggressive Female Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k9luvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey fish folks! I've got a 29 gal cycled planted community tank. My female dalmatian molly is guarding one corner of the tank. Any suggestions as to why?

Attachments

• 20170912_152041.jpg
    20170912_152041.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170912_152037.jpg
    20170912_152037.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 83
  • 20170912_152026.jpg
    20170912_152026.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 81
Hello k9...

Mollies will become aggressive if they feel crowded. They react the same as other larger livebearing fish like Platys and Swordtails. Your 29 G is small for a Molly. These are fast breeders, given pure water conditions. This size fish needs larger quarters. I keep these larger species in 45 to 60 gallons of water.

B

2 Molly
2 patty
4 guppies
4 neon
2 Cory
A 55 gallon tank is in the works but it will probably be a couple months for me to set up and get cycled.

No, the other is definitely a male. Had I known better when I bought them I would not have gotten one of each!

That explains it. The males are very stress-inducing to females with their constant need for mating. Usually when getting mollies, you try to get three females for one male, at minimum two females. She is stressed out, and has claimed that corner as her "safe place." Best course is to replace the male with a female, but if you are unable to, though the tank is small for breeding, you will then have to add one more female.

That explains it. The males are very stress-inducing to females with their constant need for mating. Usually when getting mollies, you try to get three females for one male, at minimum two females. She is stressed out, and has claimed that corner as her "safe place." Best course is to replace the male with a female, but if you are unable to, though the tank is small for breeding, you will then have to add one more female.
Thanks for the advice! I am working on getting a bigger tank but I am expecting that it will take me at least a month to get it inhabitable. Do you think she can hold out that long?

Not the way she is acting. :nono: As cramped as it may be, it would be better for her to be cramped with another female for a month than alone with a male for that time.

Nice scape, I think the golf ball was a great addition. When I think of aggressive fish in an aquarium, Mollies don't register very high on the list. Your fearless female Mollie looks fine. As long as "aggression" doesn't result in injury, it's really nothing to be concerned about. As for possible overcrowding, I don't think so. None of your listed fish are big waste makers. With
all the advanced filter options, and with maybe an additional WC a week, you could easily add several more mollies and guppies. As listed above, a bigger tank is always better. Bbradbury's
advise is always spot on. Just IMO it would be fine to build up your livebearers population until your 55 gal. Goal is accomplished. Note: you might consider adding a small school of medium sized tetras for fry control.

Sound advice, I think I'll be fish shopping this weeken. Thank you!

Nice scape, I think the golf ball was a great addition. When I think of aggressive fish in an aquarium, Mollies don't register very high on the list. Your fearless female Mollie looks fine. As long as "aggression" doesn't result in injury, it's really nothing to be concerned about. As for possible overcrowding, I don't think so. None of your listed fish are big waste makers. With
all the advanced filter options, and with maybe an additional WC a week, you could easily add several more mollies and guppies. As listed above, a bigger tank is always better. Bbradbury's
advise is always spot on. Just IMO it would be fine to build up your livebearers population until your 55 gal. Goal is accomplished. Note: you might consider adding a small school of medium sized tetras for fry control.
Thanks for the compliment, I have had a ton of fun scaping this and learning about aquarium plants. The golf ball was the Hub's idea, he thought it was a funny addition to my tanks since my golf balls seem to have a water hazard tracking device!
I think I will be adding a female molly or two and moving the whole crew the bigger tank when is ready. I had planned on the 55 being an Angel tank. Any issues with the mollies and angels?
I do a weekly 30% water change and can up that to twice weekly when I add new Mollies if you all think it would help.

Last edited:
In a 55 gal. Probably no problems mixing Angels and Mollies. The angels will eagerly eat the fry. Two WC's a week is a good maintenence plan. I usually do a 35% WC once a week, and only do a second if the water starts looking dingy. I have several tanks to keep up with.

Back
Top Bottom