aggressive female platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 10 gallon tank with only 2 female platies as it's inhabitant. I originally had 4, but two died very shortly after I got them. Anywho, the last two have been healthy for months now, but one of the females has been aggressive from the start. She chased and nipped at the others all the time, and now that its just the two of them, the other one gets chased and nipped at almost constantly. The chased one shows no sign of fin damage or anything, but I still feel sorry for her. I've really proscrinated looking into the problem for too long, but here I am finally. Any suggestions on how to deal with the aggressiveness? In case you are thinking it, the aggressive one isn't a male, theres no mistaking that since she had fry the day I got her (while I was floating the bag no less).

There really isn't much you can do about an agressive fish. I had a white molly that would guard the betta all day and chase off predators violently... once it got too bad i ended up getting rid of her.

have you tried moving decorations around? adding more silk plants etc.. I know you probably covered all this off and probably won't work like XxTitleisTxX said if you have an agressive fish it may just stay agressive.

It is hit and miss with adding a 3rd.. The agressive one might chase both...

Good luck

If you have another small tank, put the agressive Platy in there for 5 to 7 days.....this will allow the other Platy time to "relax" and gain some ownership of the tank.....if you do rearrange decorations/plants, do it the day you remove the aggressor. This will give the other Platy time to get used to the renovations. When you put the aggressive Platy back in, make sure your home for awhile to keep an eye on things. I had an aggressive female platy and this method worked for her....she was a "new woman" when I returned her to the community tank - totally different temperment. My husband says it's cause she was in "solitary confinement"..... :lol:

Well Menagerie, I hadn't decided what to do until I saw smallfry's idea. I think I'll try it. It can't hurt, and at the very least it will give the chased one a little break.

Back
Top Bottom